Sunday, November 18, 2012

Interviews on the Dance Floor: Neal Ozmun

Dear Blog Friends,Today, I have the pleasure of hosting an interview on iLoveMornings!  My special guest is Neal Ozmun, a friend from college.  He shares my love for dance, so I asked him to share a little about his personal experiences and dancing from a guy's perspective.  Thanks, Neal!
Little Miss Sunshine



- Name 
Neal Ozmun
- Age 
24
- Occupation 
Assistant Soccer Coach at OBU
- So when did you pick up dancing?
About this time last year.
- You're pretty active, right?  
I played soccer in high school and college. I love to go hiking, paddling, play any sport. I just want to stay active
- So why do you dance? 
It’s the best. I enjoy learning and there is a lot of learning to do when it comes to dancing. Country music is great. And call it stupid if you want, but I just like to put my boots on.
- Haha.  I feel the same way.  They're like the shoe version of a comfort food for me.  What kind of spectrum does your dance experience cover? 
I was in Tiger Tunes my senior year. I tried a little swing here and a little salsa there, but there aint nothing better then two-steppin. My experience is a little different then I’d say most people. I learned to dance at the Electric Cowboy in Fayetteville, AR. A group of friends wanted to go check it out. We always go together. We never go to that place by ourselves because its not exactly the place you go to find a cute dance partner. If you’ve ever been there, you understand. But we would always go right at 7:30 when it opened. It was free at that time, and they have dance lessons. So we would go for cheap and to learn more. We have gone to Caravan’s Cattle Company in Tulsa as well, but still as a group. I have never gone to a place without a dance partner, or group of guys and gals.
- Sounds like an impressive little posse you have there.  In general, would you say guys see dancing more as an athletic challenge, a tool for wooing women or an expression of fine art? 
I would think its mostly for being in a great social atmosphere. Yes it is a great way to hang out, and if you’re really good, woo. Plus country music is great. So its winning for sure.
- So if you happen to hypothetically be without your posse and you walk into a room full of strangers, how do you pick out a girl to ask to dance?
Like I said I have not been in this situation before, BUT I would be looking for a lady a) in boots b)modestly dressed and c)not in the center of a big group
- No kidding on b.  They should teach that in dance lessons.  You're just not going to want to stop and adjust your wardrobe while you're twirling and dipping.  What's something that drives you crazy when you're dancing with a girl?
Them trying to lead. I was not taught how to follow. It is really hard to move around the floor, let alone do anything fancy when there are two leaders.
- Absolutely.  So aside from following well, what's the best way to be the optimum dance partner?
Don’t care if you mess up. Laugh it off and keep going. Be polite. Smile. And be able to keep time.
- Confession time… have you ever dropped a girl?
Nope! I have however hit her in the forehead with my arm, stepped on her, and missed her hand on a move, but my towers/candlesticks have been successful.
- That's a pretty good record.  Do you have any particular future dancing aspirations?
I would like to know what else I can do. I am still learning move for two-step, triple-two, and waltz. I want to travel to different states and see how dancing is different there.
- Impressive.  Would you say dance as a social activity is growing or declining among young people?
In Arkansas it is hard to tell because about the only place you can go is the EC. And that is not super inviting to young people.
- Hmmm, yeah, venue can be an unfortunate challenge.  Anything you have that you'd like answered while we're here?
What do you/ladies look for in a partner? Either when picking a partner out or while dancing.  What are some common etiquettes that I may not know?
- Every girl's a little different, but there are some generalities that apply here.  All the things you listed - laugh off mistakes, smile, be polite, keep time, lead - are things we value too.  I rarely ask guys to dance, but while I wait, I watch and get an idea of who I'd like to ask me to dance.  Obviously being a good dancer is great.  Call us shallow, but we don't mind if you're good looking either.  We like guys who are gentle, who remember they're dancing with a girl, not playing sports.  Guys who hold girls tight are creepy unless they're dating you or something.  Be good at steering.  I realize it's hard to navigate and lead and figure out triple turn combinations, but it's nice if you can watch out where you're leading us.  
As far as etiquette, I appreciate it when a guy asks me my name and thanks me for the dance when it's over.  It's nice when a guy takes my hand and leads me onto the dance floor.  That is something little, but it shows me that he is confident in leading.  

Thanks so much for your input!  

LMS

No comments:

Post a Comment