Thursday, January 15, 2015

The Waiting Place

You can get so confused
that you’ll start in to race
down long wiggled roads at a break-necking pace
and grind on for miles across weirdish wild space
headed, I fear, toward a most useless place.
The Waiting Place…

Waiting for the fish to bite
or waiting for wind to fly a kite
or waiting around for Friday night
or waiting, perhaps , for their Uncle Jake
or a pot to boil, or a Better Break
or string of pearls, or a pair of pants
or a wig with curls, or Another Chance.
Everyone is just waiting. 

That’s from Oh, the Places You’ll Go, by Dr. Seuss.  He was wrong, you know.  The Waiting Place doesn’t have to be useless.  My friend, Paul, told me that once.  It wasn’t during a time when I could see it very clearly either.  It was the summer of 2013.  I just wanted a boyfriend.  I went through all the usual questions.  Is that so hard to ask?  Is it really that complicated?  Is there something wrong with me?  Is this punishment for something somehow that I’ve done?  No one else has to wait (ha!), why me?  It was a rollicking frolicking pity party, yall.  

What Paul said that night has stuck with me.  Waiting isn’t wasted.  It’s written right there in my journal.  Tuesday, July 23, 2013.  Waiting isn’t wasted.  Somehow, an All Mighty, All Knowing, All Perfect God is doing something much bigger than our curtailed vision can take in.  

That doesn’t make it easy.  Some of you have waited for and are still waiting for much weightier things than my end-of-the-summer-boyfriend.  

You wait for conception.  
You wait for doctor’s results.  
You wait for someone to come around.  
You wait for someone to be a friend.  
You wait for a safe place.  
You wait for someone to come home.  
You wait for someone to come to their senses.  
You wait for a small child to cross an ocean.  
You wait for the job offer.  
You wait for the sentence to be served.  
You wait for remission.
You wait for _____

Sometimes the weight of it all squishes the words right out of you.  The air goes right out of your lungs as a sigh instead of an explanation.  It can be lonely.  

When I was little, I thought that all I was waiting for was to grow up and do all the things that grownups do.  Then I would have arrived, and some inspector of persons would hand me a certificate, take my picture, and make an announcement that I had arrived.  After that, no more waiting!  Well, I have a man, a car, and a job, and you know what?  I’m still waiting for things.  


People tell me to “just be patient” “just wait”.  Do they tell you that too?  Probably so.  Most of the time I nod smilingly, but really I want to sort of swat them.  Don’t you understand?!  I want to tell them.  I don’t like this!  This wasn’t my plan!  [My plans rarely include waiting.]  What does that even MEAN?!  Just be patient.  What is patient, anyway?!  I get it, I get it, it’s a fruit of the Spirit.  It’s an orange or a strawberry in flannel graph Sunday school land.  But what ELSE is it, and can I buy it at Target?  

It’s ferocious.  

What?  Not what you were expecting?  

You were probably thinking sheep and knitting and porch swings.    

Patience is a wild one.  It stands still and runs at full speed.  It clings to Jesus and lets go of being in charge.  It waits but it doesn’t wait around.     

Patience swaddles squalling babies.  Keeps the flags standing straight in the front yard until the hero comes home.  Doesn’t give up when a year of treatment stretches into ten.  Shows kindness to the wife who isn’t quite ready to give up her bitterness.  Gives respect to the husband who only seems to have sharp words.  Gets on knees for the 67th time with the same prayer.  

Patience declares that God’s will, whatever it is, will come at the best time.  Patience declares that God’s love is not absent.  Patience gets busy living life because standing around in a black hole of self pity isn’t worth the time.  Patience declares that though we wait, we are not forgotten.  

Patience holds on to hope with white knuckles because God has been holding onto us since Adam, and He isn’t about to quit now. 



Love,

Little Miss Sunshine



No comments:

Post a Comment