Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Little Miss Sunshine Goes Vintage


Yesterday, which will be day before yesterday by the time I post it, but will still be yesterday for my American friends, that is, if you read this the day I post it… that is to say, on Saturday, I drove to the city with Chez.  This was no ordinary occurrence, as I was driving on the left side of the road and we were going to a … wait for it… vintage clothing market.

vintage-market-carlton-eclectic-about-image

Yes, friends, I, Little Miss Sunshine, was destined for hipster heaven.  (Sorry for all the commas.)  While not claiming hipsterdom myself, I have been known to associate with hipsters, and have even considered liking owls and square rimmed glasses.  Why, you ask, if I didn't even own a beach comber bicycle in baby blue, was I going to a vintage clothing market.  So glad you asked.  (If you hadn't asked, I would have told you anyway.) 

My dear friend Cath is a purveyor of vintage fashion, aka, she has the gift of op shopping and sells her fab finds on etsy.  (Young Pilgrims Vintage, check it out!)  Not only is she a finder of fashion, she is also studying to become a high school teacher.  Because of all these things and recently moving, and it being winter, she had a cold and couldn't go to the market, so she outsourced her labor.  She was going to hire team USA, but SG had to work a shift at the restaurant so we were team United States of Australia and Chez came.  Of the three of us, any combination would have been a winner.  SG is highly qualified because she's a market guru, Cherie because she has funky semi vintage hippy fashion sense, and me because I can fake almost anything. 

Since I was going as an undercover hipster, I searched my closet for something appropriate to wear.  No such luck.  I think I sent my red lipstick and my fake square glasses home with Mom, thinking I wouldn't need them.  Rookie mistake, never send dress up materials or party dresses home with your Mom when you're being a church intern in Australia!  It couldn't be helped, so  I settled for the next best disguise - independent small business owner.  Think skinny jeans, navy stripe top under a black cotton blazer with a chunky necklace and cranberry red nail polish.

We made it to the market, lugged our tubs of clothing into the hotel, and started setting up our things while sizing up the competition.  Wooden cutting board man across the aisle, no competition.  Trendy girls next door who were cleaning out their closets, maybe a little but their prices were higher.  Huge stall across the aisle with the cheap prices, absolutely.  Cath sent us everything we needed, including perfect hipster bunting to hang on the wall behind the stall. 

Once we were checked in with the organizer and all set up, we waited for customers.  And they came.  Old women in feathery hats, hipster teenagers out for a Saturday afternoon in the city, vintage devotees wearing wide headbands and high waisted pants, we had them all.  They browsed and gushed over 50s print sundresses and purple velour leggings.  I just smiled and nodded. 

By the end of the day, we'd sold a few pieces and met some fun people, including Kate, the girl with high waisted demin shorts with shooting stars that she was wearing over patterned tights.  She worked with inner city kids and did fashion on the side, but said she was a Christian and remarked that it was good to meet other Christians because sometimes it seems like you're the only one. 

We packed up the leftover clothes and lugged them out through the afternoon drizzle to the car.  With Chez giving directions, and me at the wheel, we inched our way through city traffic until it opened up and we could sail down the freeway at 100.  (That's 100 kilometers per hour.)  Thus ended my foray into the urban hipster vintage scene. 

Little Miss Sunshine

No comments:

Post a Comment