Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Getting a Sense of North Africa

Well gang, I'm home.  After about 24 hours of being awake, traipsing through the streets of Madrid for a couple hours and spending a very long time on a plane or two, I have returned to my dear little house with my dear little family.  While telling you about my adventures in North Africa would take several hours if told in their entirety, I want to give you a little taste of what it was like.

See.
Tteachers light up as we talked about the best ways to help kids learn.  The ocean every morning as I looked out from my balcony.  A people so hospitable and welcoming, but still without the Light. 

Hear
Sounds of laughter that erupts from the comedies of a language barrier.  Justin Bieber being sung in English.  Shouts and chants of protesting.  A jumble of French, English, Spanish and Arabic that results from living in a cultural crossroad.

Smell.
The warm brown smell being exhaled from local bakeries. The refreshing zip of mint that I held to my nose when we toured the pungent tannery.  Paprika, cumin, saffron and curry at the local spice shop.

Taste.
Liquid gold, also known as peach-orange juice that is freshly made in the restaurants.  Pastila, a chicken almond pot pie made with puff pastry and honey and cinnamon on top.  Success in being able to use the degree I just graduated with.

Touch.
Cheeks of anyone you know or have just been introduced to - the women are all about kissing cheek to cheek.  A small hand being held tightly as we made our way through busy markets.  The feathery brush of fringe on the scarves we bought and wore almost daily.  

Thank you for your prayers and support.  If you have questions about more North African adventures, just let me know.  

Much love,
Little Miss Sunshine



For the gate is narrow and the way is hard that leads to life, and those who find it are few.

Matthew 7:14

No comments:

Post a Comment