Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Novelties

There came a point in my life when I figured it out.  I don't remember when it was, but my guess is somewhere in high school.  I began to understand the rhythm of novelties.  Why am I writing about this?  Two reasons... number one, I have had a number of conversations and read several authors who write about this phenomenon in my generation.  We are "tinkers" according to Kevin DeYoung in Just Do Something.  We float from one job to another, travel, do internships, and are much more enamored with the journey than the destination.  Another reason is, as much as I try to distance myself from these ideas philosophically, I have found myself in that situation this summer.

Case in point: June - Morocco, June/July - work at camp, August - August - Australia.

What have I done?!  Have I inadvertently become one of those wandering gypsies looking for fulfillment and always eager for the next thing who are the future demise of settled neighborhoods, marriages before 30 and cultural stability?

I have figured out how to do new things.  In some ways, that's great.  I think it promotes adaptability to a changing world, and a helpful brand of resilience.  This summer I have become more conscious of this skill.  The past two summers, I've worked at a camp in Colorado.  I had the routine down, and had even taken on some leadership responsibilities.  This summer, however, the schedule didn't fit with my availability, so I chose to work at a new camp.  You might be thinking my camp days are quickly approaching their expiration date, but I do love camp.  This camp has a new staff, #Travy McTraverson, Alex, Saraaa, Spence, Shmana, and Noah Samoa.  They have a different mission statement, different inside jokes, different routines.  To make things worse (or just more challenging), I arrived late and missed staff training! 

What's a girl to do when she walks into a situation where she really has no idea what's going on?  Pick a winner and watch 'em like a hawk.  You become a covert agent with one mission: figure this new thing out.  I decided this is sort of a life application principle.  If you want to do something, by golly, find someone who is where you want to be and watch them.  Nope, I don't know where the trailhead is for the hiking group on Friday, but by golly, knowing what questions to ask and who to watch is going to get me where I need to be.

Coming soon: thoughts on gypsyness vs. the settled life

Much love,

Little Miss Sunshine 

2 comments:

  1. Nice, Cas!
    DeYoung really has it down, doesn't he?? So pointed, so relevant, so Biblical! Glad you've
    consumed his little tome...
    One summer I too, flew by the seat of my proverbial pants teaching nature lessons along the Sunshine Coast of British Columbia...the Lord had much to teach me!!
    Happy camping...
    Love, GF

    ReplyDelete
  2. GF! Seriously?? I've never heard that Canadian story!

    ReplyDelete