Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Getting gotten?

I would describe myself as a go-getter.  If there is sushi to be tried, cliffs to be rappelled, paperwork to be filled out, I'm your girl.  I like to prepare, and I like to plan.  For my upcoming trip to Australia, I've begun a document with lists of Aussie/American lingo, maps of the area, and a rough sketch of activity ideas for the kids I'll be working with.

Life generally favors the go-getters.  If you want to make the team, you play catch with dad in the front yard, and work hard at try-outs.  If you want to go to college, you work hard in school, and save your pennies.  If you want to get the job, you wear the power suit, spray the hair, flash the smile and hand in a sparkling resume.  You make a goal, complete the steps, check off the goal. 

Well.  Here's a goal for you.  I want to get married and have kids.  

My organized, objective self would say, figure out your purchasing power, do some networking and research, and get the job done.  Don't be a pansy, get to work.  Where might a girl do research on such a thing?  www.soyouwanna.com of course, the website for all your aspirational needs.  Unfortunately, they didn't have a category entitled "So you wanna get married without seeming like you really want to get married".  They did, however, have a link to www.catchhimandkeephim.com, where your new friend Christian Carter will give you his manly advice.  I laughed at Mr. Carter's Tangled-esque version of "the smolder" and read one of the headline articles while I was there, which really wasn't too off target.

One of my hesitations on this side of the argument is linked to the title of the SoYouWanna article I searched in vain for.  I am under the distinct impression that wanting to be married, like soon, would result in a blinking neon sign assigned to my forehead that would read "Warning: Desperate, avoid at all costs".  Nothing like a red neon sign on your forehead to banish would-be Prince Charmings!  I mean, how do you play hard to get when you really just want to be gotten?

Then there's the romance-loving-melt-like-chocolate-in-Phoenix-sentimental part of me.  This part of me disdains the dialogue of the other, arguing that it shouldn't be like that.  I'm not marketing a new line of vacuum cleaners, I want to fall in love forever!  I want the whole package- sparkles in the eyes, love letters, serenades, dancing the night away, every last sappy bit of it.

My research spree ended at http://www.boundless.org/2005/articles/a0002148.cfm reading an article about the goodness of waiting.  Despite my good intentions, it seems I've lost sight of reality.  My calling, as I wrote on my application to grad school this afternoon, is to "glorify God and enjoy Him forever".  (You might recognize that from a little old document called the Westminster Shorter Catechism.)  This God that I am to glorify and enjoy forever loves me with an unfailing compassion.  He sees my desires and needs in a way I never could.  He sees Time without ever feeling hurried.  He already sees the end result of my prayer "Dear God, please make him love you with all his heart... and please make him good looking and ... well, You know the rest of the list".  If I really believe these things, my life should be characterized by patience and peace, not discontent or wedding fever, wondering if Prince Charming really exists.

In the meantime, there are Australian high schoolers who need a youth intern, and friends who need letters written to them, and of course a lean mean omelet that needs a little perfecting for whenever Mr. Charming himself decides to show up.

Sunny skies once more,

LMS


1 comment: