Friday, October 26, 2012

So You Think You Can't Dance?


If you had somehow peered into a crowded venue in my corner of the world blaring banjo and fiddle, you'd have seen my happy soul whirling and dipping.  Expressing how much I like dancing is about as difficult for me as expressing the principles of calculus.  You'll just have to take it on faith that I like it a whole heaping lot and if I had to choose between apples and chocolate or dancing, I'd pick dancing, and you know how I feel about apples. 

I always love to dance, but some nights are better than others, depending on the crowd, the music, the quality of dancers who ask you to dance, and all that.  Last night was a particularly good night because two of the best dropped in, plus that random guy from Utah, and the swim coach who's always teaching aerials.  I was spun within an inch of my happy life.  In between reading cues and holding in screams that inevitably come from being upside down, I got to thinking.  What are the things that make it easier to dance?  If I were to teach someone enough to pass for a good dancer what ought they know, a sort of choreographical Pygmalion, if you follow. 

Things You Ought to Know if You Think You Can't Dance (but want to, or need to)

1. Feel the beat.  If you can wrap your heartbeat around the rhythm - internalize it so you could walk out the door and keep the beat - you'll be ahead of a fair few.  Guys, although it's not the best case scenario, you can tap our hands as you hold them, or our back if it's gentle and not creepy, if it keeps you on beat. 

2. Hold a hand.  I firmly believe one could dance with only the ring and middle finger.  If you can anchor those two in the center of your partner's palm and use it as a pivot point for turns and basic steps, you'll find it easier to move.  Don't get too hung up on keeping a grip on their whole hand; it restricts movement. 

3. Read.  A fisherman reads a lake to figure out where the fish are.  A pirate reads a map to figure out where the treasure is.  A volleyball player reads the court to figure out where to defend.  (I'd give you a basketball analogy, but you'd just be more confused than helped.)  A dancer reads their partner to figure out their comfort level with the moves, their rhythm and patterns.  It is rare that a dancer (guy) doesn't have a certain set of favorite moves.  If you can figure those out and start reading them a little, you'll follow better. 

4. Keep yourself on your toes.  Literally and figuratively, stay on your toes.  Literally, when you're turning, get on the balls of your feet.  You'll turn more fluidly.  Don't go around walking on your toes.  (That's #4 on the list of How to Look Like a Weirdo.)  Do turn and transition on your toes.  Figuratively, pay attention.  Guys, pay attention to the level of expertise your girl has.  Teach her something new, but don't dance at a level way over her head.  She'll feel dumb.  Girls, pay attention to your guy's cues.  Some are stronger cue-ers than others. 

5. Don't look at your feet.  I am guilty of this all the time, but don't do it!  If you're dancing with a talker and you can manage it, talk to them.  Look over their shoulder.  Look deeply into their eyes… or not.  Avoid the feet. 

6. Smile.  Don't look like you're deep in thought constipation trying to match footwork and rhythm.  Don't knit the brows.  Don't stick out the tongue in concentration.  Smile. 

7. Don't stop believin.  Have a little confidence.  I've met very few people who I'm convinced are a lost cause on the dance floor.  If you can clap and count to 4, you can dance.  


There you have it, six things you can take to the bank and cash in for dance success.  If you have more to share, let me know and I'll add them to the list.  Dancing is social, and the process of learning should be too.

Happy dancing,

Little Miss Sunshine

No comments:

Post a Comment