Saturday, October 13, 2012

Chipped Teeth and Longhorn Steers - stories from fall break


You know this, but one perk of being a teacher is the school holidays.  This week is Fall Break at school, so I took off last Friday night for Arkansas for my beloved alma mater's homecoming.  A quick description of the university I went to - all those college brochures you got after you took the SAT.  There are people clustered on the quad, professors doing one-on-one work, social gatherings aplenty.  All those things are real where I went to school. 

As soon as I rolled into town, I tackled my brother and his soon to be wife, cleaned up from my ghastly (though without mishap) red eye flight, and hit the quad.  Homecoming Saturday is spent on the quad seeing people.  The clubs and orgs have their tables set up and alums browse by and reminisce about things they used to be a part of.  I didn't do a whole lot of browsing, more running, screaming and hugging.  Oh, it's good to see old friends.  The professors were much the same, though they didn't really carry their own weight in the screaming department.  That's ok, they have to have a little more decorum than I do. 

I felt like my heart was coming home.  It was as though I'd never left.  On the walk from Audrey's (Jordan's fiancé's apt), which was also my old apt, I felt like I was going to class.  I skipped, and trotted, and twirled.  I considered resisting the urge, but I promptly discarded that idea.  That afternoon, we all went to the homecoming football game.  Don't ask me who won, I don't know.  There were too many people between me and the football field for me to actually watch much of the game. 

Afterwards I threw on a dress and heels and went to the early show of Tiger Tunes.  You don't know what that is, do you?  To say that it's a song and dance show is like saying The Phantom of the Opera is a musical.  It's a big deal, swathed in tradition and sometimes there are glowsticks and lightshows  (thank you, Kappa Miners show).  I screamed and whooped my lungs out, which is a bit unfortunate because the early show isn't that kind of show.  The Saturday early show is usually filled with parents who need to put children to bed early and grandparents who want to see their grandkids perform.  What these two groups of people don't generally understand is the principle of Performer/Audience Reciprocity, which can be understood in this way:

The performers on stage are energized by the feedback of the audience.
The audience will give enthusiastic feedback if the performers on stage are giving an energized performance.

The conclusion of this stage energy conundrum is CHEER LOUDLY whether or not the show is good because the show will get better when you do, giving you a real reason to cheer loudly.  I didn't have time to explain this to the people sitting around me, but I don't know if they would have listened if I had.  I just turned around and went to the late show and enjoyed the more enthusiastic crowd filled with riled up college students and young alums. 

After the Saturday late show, one of the clubs hosts an after party complete with a band on the quad and a truck bed full of ice and rootbeer.  They have a chugging contest, which is how I chipped my tooth.  I danced some line dances and was on my way through the crowd to go to bed (it'd been a while since I'd slept), when they started the contest.  They announced the first round between Girl 1 and Girl 2.  Girl 2 had disappeared or chickened out so they were calling for a replacement. 

[Perhaps this is where I should explain my over eager propensity for raising my hand.  Magic shows, camp games, whatever it is, as soon as they call for a volunteer, the joints in my right arm stiffen and up it goes as though manipulated by an unseen puppeteer.  It is an involuntary action that volunteers me for all kinds of outlandish things.]

Up went my arm and suddenly I was the replacement.  I'd never chugged rootbeer (IBC, to be exact) before, but I'd always wanted to see if I could.  So I did.  And I won.  I also got rootbeer all over Mom's new Banana Republic eggplant cardigan (but it washed out, so it was OK).  A few minutes later and I was competing against a girl they called by her last name.  You can generally assume that girls called by their last names are going to beat you at a chugging contest.  And she did, and it was amazing.  Somewhere between GO! and DONE!, I chipped a tooth.  I felt it after I was finished and walking home, slightly sticky.  I must have smacked the bottle against my front tooth a bit aggressively in the adrenaline rush of trying to force carbonated liquid sugar down my throat. 

The next day, after more [subdued] screaming and seeing people at church, I left for Texas.  I feel as though sometime during my senior year of college, all my friends happened to be gathered together and made a unanimous decision to move to Texas, mostly Dallas, Texas.  I must have been grading things or working on homework or something because I missed the memo.  All that to say, the nearest and dearest all live in Dallas now, so to Dallas I went, where there was more screaming and hugging and exclaiming. 

We ate great food, watched TV, painted our nails, went to Sprinkles and Starbucks and generally did a lot of wonderful nothing.  It's a bit odd to see our grownup selves gathering for dinner, but it's just nice to be together again.  Wednesday night we went dancing, which I will tell you all about in another post.  There were late night conversations and games of spades and lazy breakfasts of cereal and coffee.  There was also the Texas State Fair. 

Yes, I did eat a footlong corn dog and a fried Snickers bar at the State Fair of Texas.  I sat in King Ranch F350 Fords and saw a Texas Longhorn steer.  I spent the day with my aunt, uncle, cousin and some of their friends from back home.  I like Texans.  They're a spirited, down to earth, tough sort of person, enough to make me want to study regionalism in the US, but that's another story. 

That night, Liz took me to the airport, where I met curly-headed-extroverted-Jesus guy.  We chatted about mission projects we'd done and where we'd been in life and our beloved churches back home as we power walked to security, both being late for our flights.  It was a nice way to end a vacation, with a guy asking how he could pray for you, just because you're family. 


That's how Fall Broke,

Little Miss Sunshine

No comments:

Post a Comment