Thursday, March 28, 2013

Room 8 the Great's Expiration Date



Ladies and Gentlemen,
I am here to announce that Room 8 now has an expiration date: May 24, 2013.  It's quite the adult experience, garnering your first grown up job and then losing it within a year.  There are so many sitcom episodes and movies about getting and losing jobs.  I feel like I should take a bow or get a membership card or something to the grownup club.

I found out yesterday.  They told me a few weeks ago that because of when I was hired, I only had a one year contract, which meant that my job was up for grabs, and I was third in line behind inter-district transfers and people coming off of leave.  Our school is one of the best in the district, so it's not a shock that teachers were flocking to take up residence in Room 8. 

When I found out yesterday after school, I went back to Room 8 and did a little more work before getting in my car and driving home.  During that drive home, I don't know that I have ever been more acutely aware of the power to choose.  Bitterness, discouragement, anger, disappointment, sadness, despair, defensiveness were standing at the ready, waiting to throw me a pity party.  Meanwhile, hope, faith, courage, vision, patience, peace, and resilience were standing by cheering me on.  Sure, I'd just been told I didn't have a job next year, BUT

...I still had a place to live
...it doesn't mean I suck at teaching
...I learned so much in my first year there
...God isn't going anywhere
...if I give up now, I forfeit the things learned in trying again… and again… and again

(Yeah, I did come home and eat half a stack of whole wheat club crackers.  At least it wasn't a whole stack, right?) 

So I can choose.  I am free to get all bent out of shape and sulky, and I'm free to trust God and sign my name on the dotted line of the next adventure.  As much as emotions seem to be thrust upon me or inevitable, I trust a God who is greater than my circumstances but has also lived through them.  I don't know if Jesus ever got let go from his carpentry job, but I'm pretty sure He has a good imagination. 

What's next for Miss Sunshine?  Great question.  It's not one I have an answer to.  So far, my list of ideas looks like this…

- Apply to other schools in the district
- Apply to other districts close to home
- Run away and join the circus
- Consider other states
- Get an office job where I can wear heels and do those desk workouts magazine writers rave about
- Be a cowgirl
- Be a Zumba instructor
- Get a PC related/non-classroom job
- Apply to charter and Christian schools
- Apply to artsy schools where they encourage drum circles and handstands
- Write a book

Plenty of options, and that's only half of them.  There's always overseas stuff, becoming a princess or an astronaut, or working at camp.  All good options.  I'm sure you're full of ideas.  Feel free to pass them along, though I disentangle myself now from any obligation to take them on. 

Much love,

Little Miss Sunshine

2 comments:

  1. If you need something for the summer, we are looking for a youth intern. :) Probably not what you are thinking, but it could be fun and lead to something awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Casie, I just want you to know that I absolutely LOVE reading your posts on Facebook and on this blog. You truly have a gift of storytelling life through children's eyes. Wherever you go and whatever you do, I know you'll bring life to it! Can't wait to see where your adventure leads.

    Thanks for the challenge, too. I think a lot of us are in the choices boat with you--whether employed or not. :)

    Go get 'em, girl!

    ReplyDelete