Saturday, May 12, 2012

Eat, Drink,and Have Birthdays


I realize that the past three posts have been absolute funerals, so I shall dispense with the solemnities and tell you about our birthdays.  I say our birthdays because SG and I are only two days apart, which is absolutely serendipitous.  (Would you say that's the correct use of the word serendipitous?)  We've been partying for almost a week, but I think the bout of revelry has finally come to a close. 

It began with birthday breakfast last Saturday.  It was SG's actual birthday, and our dear friend Chez took us out for breakfast at a little place on a little corner in the little town where we live in Australia.  They gave me ice cream on my pancakes.  It's an Australian thing.  SG's breakfast looked like it had come straight out of a food fashion show.  It had sauce swirls all around the plate.  Chez got a plate with all the flavors of a prize-winning breakfast, and she shared her bacon.



After breakfast, we tripped all over town looking for any fashion finds that flirted with our fancy.  It wasn't really quite as carefree and squanderous (is that a word?) as it sounds.  Chez needed an outfit for an engagement party, which we found on sale in a little boutique.  On the topic of boutiques, I don't know how they stay in business.  I, for one, can't muster up the bravado to shop in them.  I always feel like I'm a patient in an observation room when I shop in those places.  The owners are scrutinizing me, wondering if I'll buy the crazy floral maxi skirt or the Thai silk blouse in chartreuse.

I didn't manage to make it through the morning without a little retail therapy.  It wasn't therapy, really, it was a near necessity.  I had noticed several days before some telltale signs of wear on the derriere of my favorite pair of jeans.  Not one to walk around showing off my undies to the world, I decided replacing them should happen before the mortifying shrrrrrrip heralded the rending of my jeans the next time I decided to do the splits.

If you've wasted any time skimming through fashion mags of late, you'll know that colored jeans are the thing of the moment.  I wish I could say that in French because it would lend me credibility, but I can't.  To get to the point of an already lengthy digression, I walked out with a new pair of terra cotta colored skinny jeans.  (Fashion inspiration credit for the color goes to Sam, who recently bought some jeans in terra cotta, being the fashion forward man he is.) 

How this birthday blog post turned into the recount of my fashion escapade, I'm not sure, but let's get back on track.  Sunday, the festivities continued.  Sue baked us a cake to have at morning tea after church, and the whole congregation sang happy birthday to us.  That evening, we hosted Messy Church, which is a family/community service that involves crafts, story time, and dinner.  The theme was "You're Invited to a Party" and we used the text of Luke 14:12-24. 

After dinner, they brought out two cakes, baked by Lois, and we were regaled again.  It was the biggest birthday party I've ever had.  It was like a love explosion in our faces, and we reveled in it.  They brought us presents of Australia pillows and koala pencil cases, chocolates and colorful coin purses.  It was a celebration to bring down the house. 



Monday, the party continued with my actual birthday.  SG's culinary instincts brought fish tacos to the table that night with a flourish of mango salsa.  A-mazing.  They sang to me at playgroup, and Monica brought cake for SG and I to Bible study.  (There has been so much cake this week!) 

That sounds like a respectable end to a week of singing and candle blowing, but it wasn't.  The grand finale came Thursday night when an eclectic group of people arrived in ones and twos at the house where we're living.  Some came from several hours away.  They were teachers and students, counselors and chefs.  They're the friends we've collected over our 9 months Down Under.  They looked quizzically at our Mexican feast with Australian eyes for whom Mexico is a faraway land inhabited by cacti.  With a bit of coaxing and coaching, they filled tacos with the necessary accoutrements and thrust tortilla chips into the bean dip and guacamole. 

Having satiated their appetites, we moved on to the rite of birthday party passage, a something begun in our days at OBU.  The book was procured, and the rules explained.  Everyone reads a page before passing on the book, but you may choose not to read.  I clarified that Katroo is pronounced kuh-TRUE and began reading.  I don't think our Aussie (and the lone Canadian) friends had ever read Dr. Seuss' Happy Birthday to You and I don't think they'll soon forget it.  We laughed until our middles begged for mercy. 

From there, I tried to teach the Cupid Shuffle, but our guests' interests were elsewhere, namely, dessert.  That's ok.  I know not everyone feels the need to dance at every special occasion.  Along with dessert, we laid out two canvases and some watercolor paints to serve as a guestbook.  SG requested thumbprints in the arrangement of a bouquet of balloons, and I wanted a tree with thumbprint leaves.  Ambitiously, I was anticipating something so arts and crafty it would take over the creative underworld, Pinterest.  What I got was a tree that looked like it had sprouted a cluster of balloons, with a thumbprint flower growing at its base and a thumbprint bird flying overhead, having just dropped what I can only hope to be an egg, but surmise otherwise.  For what it lacked in technique and composition, it made up for in hilarity and affection.  It probably won't end up in a gallery, but if you could put a canvas on the fridge, I'd do it. 

The party ended with several games of Uno, some guitar playing and strange stories of people getting lost in the Australian Outback.  We hugged the last to leave adios, and turned to face the kitchen.  SG tackled the leftover food, and I wrangled the dishes into the dishwasher.  We opened our presents, sighed contentedly and floated into our beds. 

It was a good birthday, indeed.

Little Miss Sunshine

No comments:

Post a Comment