Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Sometimes I'd Rather Be a Snail


First, my shoulders get this feeling like I'm about to get struck by lightning.  Then, my heart gets tingly.  It's all down hill from there.  My throat feels swollen.  My face scrunches up like an accordion and my eyes get red and overflowy. 

It's love.  It's how I feel when there are 70 people at a birthday party for SG and I, singing Happy Birthday to us, dropping every R in their precious Aussie accents.  (Happy Buhthday to you…)  It's how I feel when someone tells me they know I'm going to be a good teacher.  It's how I feel when I'm crying my brains out for someone else's hurts.  It's how I feel when I read Isaiah 43. 

And I like it.  And I don't really like it. 

I like the attention and I like the compliments.  I like the thought of having friends worth sobbing over.  I like the idea of a strong God who cares about the world.  But being loved?  Mmm.  Not so sure about that one.  If I'm going to tell you the truth, being loved unnerves me a little. 

Wouldn't life be easier if I were just a snail?  You laugh, but I'm serious.  I could go through life without a care in the world except salt and pesticide and things that eat snails.  I'd just live in my shell and eat people's plants.  There would be no hurt and no hurting, just living.  Think about the expectations for a snail!  All people expect you to do is leave slime trails and hide in your shell when you get picked up.  Sounds pretty easy to deliver satisfactory results. 

When people love me, it means I matter.  When God loves me, I matter infinitely more.  I don't matter because my hair is soft, or because I got good grades in college, or because I'm a gregarious extrovert.  I matter because I am loved.  The reverse makes me much more comfortable because it makes sense.  It's fair.  I can understand being loved because I matter.  If I score the winning point, or practice the piano with enough fervor, I will matter, and I will be loved.  If I fail, I will cease to matter and the love will be bestowed on an object more worthy of it.  It's like winning or losing a contest.  It's only fair, right? 

What's not fair is when Jesus decided I mattered because He loved me.  He decided I mattered so much that He would get splinters in His fingers, be lonely sometimes, and even die on a cross.  I never had the chance to tell Him not to.  It wasn't fair.  He shouldn't have done it.  I'm not worth His life.  I didn't do anything to deserve being rescued.  He went to so much trouble, and I'm just me.  It's not fair.  I can never pay Him back.  Why did You do this!  That's what I want to yell because it's wrong that He had to clean up my mess. 

The answer I get doesn't make much sense.  Love.  How could love make people matter, and how could it possibly be true that I'm at the receiving end of so much of it.  Oh, sure, theologically, I could explain it to you and take you on a trek all over the Bible that tells the story of God's love.  I could tell you all about how God created people to be in relationships as a reflection of the community in the Trinity or Tri-unity of God.  I could tell you about the sociological and physical benefits of having people who love you. 

That doesn't mean the whole thing doesn't scare the breath right out of me. 

With love, there is dependence.  I don't like that.  It's fine for people to depend on me.  I'm made of good, reliable stuff.  I'll help you pack or clean house or write you a card when you're sick.  But me?  Depend on other people?  Eh.  Maybe for a lift to church, but really, I wouldn't mind walking.  Uphill.  In the rain.  Depend on people emotionally?  Ahem.  Once again, I'd be happy for anyone to cry on my shoulder.  Tell me whatever's on your mind.  Not a problem, but be vulnerable myself?  Let people think I can be hurt?  Let people think I have needs?  That's asking too much. 

With love, there is mattering, and with mattering, there are expectations.  In his first letter from the isle of Patmos, John writes that "perfect love casts out fear".  With love, you can fly, you can scale the highest mountains, you can change the world.  You aren't afraid to try. You know that real love makes you matter; it doesn't exist because you matter. 

There's something about the whole thing that's fierce, mesmerizing, too good to be true.  How could we have any conception of true love if it didn't exist?  If it's really true, if people really do love me whether or not I can sing or bake, it's like a sunny day after a week of rain.  If God really does make me matter with His love, it's the most sparkling, beautiful, life-giving sunshine that ever was.  And all I can do is soak up the sun and shake my head in wonder.

I am indebted to all those who have loved me, which I'm told is not a debt at all. 

Learning to be loved,

Little Miss Sunshine

PS If ever you have let me cry rivers of snot and salt water onto your sleeve, or written me a letter, or given me the gift of your thoughtfulness and time, this post is very much dedicated to you.  

No comments:

Post a Comment