Friday, August 10, 2012

Contracts and Construction Paper


It happened.  Glory, Hallelujah, dear goodness, meohmy, it happened.  That interview that I went to on Thursday?  Yeah, well, it worked out.  This has been my week…

Wednesday: Fill out district application
Thursday: Turn in application and interview
Friday: Get hired, have Meet the Teacher Night
Saturday: Work like a headless chicken
Sunday: Work like a headless chicken
Monday: Staff meeting and work like a headless chicken
Tuesday: First day of school and play volleyball with friends (important grownup time)
Wednesday: Second day of school, Bible study, dance the night away
Thursday: Third day of school, everyone's still alive!

It was as if God thought to Himself… She really doesn't think I can find her a job, and she really likes to be in charge and plan ahead, so I'm going to give her a job and no time to plan.  This will grow her faith.  Yes, that's what I'll do.

Well, I'd never claim to know the mind of God, but for some reason He decided to work it out this way.  I'm so glad He did.  I'm working with a great teacher mentor at a school with high standards and a great staff!  It's a little insane being hired four days before the first day of school, but hey, I'm a little insane myself. 

I have 23 beautiful and unique children to teach and lead.  Somewhere during the last 15 years, I've gone from Anne of Green Gables, Little House on the Prairie, and Christy, thinking about my ideal classroom and binders chock full of lesson plans to introducing myself as Miss Sunshine.  I'm living the dream, and it's weird.  I keep thinking it won't be real, that something is too good to be true.  I mean, who am I that I get to do exactly what I want right out of college?! 

So I'm a teacher now, and I love it.  I can foresee some challenges, but I'm already getting that intrinsic reward payoff that makes up for the all encompassing job description and incongruous paycheck.  I'm also beginning to understand how teachers quickly become workaholics.  When there are 22 journals sitting on your desk full of the musings of young writers, not to mention those grammar pre-tests that are supposed to be "informing your instruction", time flies.  Then there are parent communication letters to be written, curriculum to be previewed, oh, and that committee you're on as a part of the "you will teach this grade and be involved in any other activities deemed necessary" part of your contract.  We'll see how I go with keeping up with that.

Much love,

Little Miss Sunshine


3 comments:

  1. Soooo excited for you, Casie. What grade? Where is this school?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's 3rd grade, and about 20 minutes from my house. I loved my first week!

    ReplyDelete