Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Data referral and other comments

Dear Readers,
You may not remember, but I'm in Australia.  This is my fault (you not remembering) as I have sorely neglected the information-rich updates some of you might be wanting (mom and Mrs. Y).  Sure, SG and I are still having adventures and meeting people, but I'm posting about running and miscellaneous sundries.  So, for the sake of our relationship, I thought I should refer you to my wonderful compadrina, the one and only SG, who blogs about things that happen to us instead of commentary on isolated incidents with the occasional factual update.  I owe it to you... http://sarahlovesmarshmallows.blogspot.com/

In other news, WE ATE KANGAROO TACOS!  Please take a moment and bask in the culinary wonder of it all.  Yes, kan-ga-roo.  You knew my concerns about being able to find good Mexican food here in dear little Australia, but you also are well aware of my eagerness to try new food.  Enter Mrs. H, the wonderful cook and our hostess for dinner last night.  Don't worry, Mom, I'm loyal to the end to your tacos.  But we were so excited to have Mexican food!  She also whipped up these crazy desserts that sounded like "Pavlova" or something, looked like stuffed beehives and tasted like heaven.  They were meringue towers stuffed with mousse and fruit and topped with a blueberry sauce.

My Australian vocabulary is slowly expanding.  Let me give you a little recap of what I've gathered so far...


Australian/American
dummy/pacifier
tea/dinner
kip/nap
nappie/diaper
biscuit or bickie/cookie
goodonya/way to go
how're you going/how's it going
capsicum/ bell pepper
pram / baby stroller
mince / ground meat

It's a beautiful place.  There are Magnolia liliiflora everywhere, along with azaleas, daisies and the lush and lovely Agapanthus.  The birds, on the other hand, make me wish someone would mail me a pellet gun to Australia.  They're interesting in that they make life sound like you're living in a jungle, but they've developed what many a thespian struggles with - projection.  Land sakes alive, I think these birds could have brought Lazarus back from the dead and saved Jesus the trouble.  I haven't met an unkind Australian yet.  I don't agree with all of them, but they're so nice I don't let it keep me from liking them.  I think that will be a future post topic.

Much love,

LMS

Also, I'm considering a blog redesign.  It might take a while, but it's in the planning stages!      

No comments:

Post a Comment