Sunday, August 14, 2011

We made it! We made it!

Once upon a time I was sitting in disbelief that I would ever make it to that foreign land, Australia.  Oh yeah, that day was yesterday and a half.  I'd say yesterday, but I don't think Saturday existed in my life because of the weird Twilight Zone-like things that happen to you when you are being chased by the sun and flying around the world. 

The flight was long, but we slept a happily drugged sleep for a big part of that.  The strange fellow I sat next to kept laughing while watching his movie or TV show.  He had crazy hair. 

Customs went smoothly, and we exited the final set of doors to the outside world, to see Mrs. H standing their with our names on signs!  It was just like the movies, except I was the girl they were looking for, not some movie star!  We drove about an hour and a half straight to church where we were announced and introduced and nodded some hellos.  A song and a prayer more and we were instructed to post ourselves at the door with Pastor H.  And yes, we shook every hand that walked out those doors. 

In this congregation, there are two young families.  Only one of them was there today.  Everyone else is old, and charming, and wonderful.  You haven't seen precious until you've been welcomed by a bright eyed old Aussie grandpa with his Aussie accent and grandma at his side telling you they've been praying for you and are so glad you're here.  

The young couple took us to the house where we'll be house sitting for a couple weeks.  Friends, there are FLOWERS, and you can see the water from our front window.  It's wonderful.  SG and I went for a walk this afternoon and did a little exploring.  THEY HAVE A TARGET.  Weird.  We also found kangaroo shish kabobs in the grocery!  We've decided that we're going to keep a log of what we've learned about the area - shop prices, restaurant reviews, etc.  The dogs are not big and lanky, but they are quite endearing little things. 

Oh the wonder of it all!  I don't know what I'll be doing, who I'll be meeting, or even what ideas will succeed and fail during my time here in Australia.  I do know that God has us in His hand and we are here on His business.  It has been smooth sailing so far, but I know we will be challenged by new tasks and situations.  My prayer is that these would increase our faith and accomplish kingdom work.  

Much love and more to come,

Sunshine of the Miss and Little variety  

No comments:

Post a Comment