Friday, August 12, 2011

Is this a real thing?

So...
I'm going to Australia.  I know I've mentioned this, but I think it bears repeating... and probably some dancing.  This isn't really for your sake, but for mine.

I'm going to Australia. I'm going to Australia.  I'm still not convinced.  Yes, my bags are packed, visa is processed, itinerary is printed, but does that make it a real thing?  No.  Jesus will probably come back before it actually happens.  It's kind of like going to a water park.  You climb that big set of stairs dripping with chlorinated and otherwise questionable water.  On the way up you think about how terrifying flinging yourself down this large piece of plastic will be, but the adrenaline/fear/love hasn't reached the four corners of your brain yet.  You have an idea of what it's going to be like, but you can't really taste it until you let out a very long scream and launch yourself onto that water slide.

Water parks, Australia, same thing.  I can know what an Australian accent sounds like, I can read all kinds of articles about culture, fashion, economics and geography in Australia, but not until next week will I be walking down the street taking stock of the coffee shops, the grocery stores, and the winter fashions of Australians.  I keep texting my traveling buddy, SG, things like "are we realllly doing this?!" and "um... is this a real thing??"  There's no backing out for me.  I'm not doubting that I'm committed, I'm just doubting my consciousness.

So if, dear reader, Australia is a real place, and if I survive long enough to get there, and if Jesus doesn't come back in the meantime, I will soon be writing from Australia.  AHHHHHHHHHHHHH!  Whoa.  Weird.

Packing is going astonishingly well.  I'm underweight with both of my bags, which I hear is good because somehow, you always come back with more than you left with.

Today is going to be friend day.  I talked with my dear friend Red this morning, my best friend Zanna just returned from Malawi last night so we're having a foursome mother daughter lunch, and tonight I get to meet Princess Punkin's love interest, who's visiting this weekend.  That starts at noon, so really, I should probably get presentable.  My hair's in that not wet but not dry phase and I only got as far as eyeliner this morning because we shipped my brother (who's blog is hilarious, though seldom active) back to college and there was plenty of hubbub.

Oh what a day it will be,

Miss Sunshine of the Little Sort    

No comments:

Post a Comment