Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Packing Post

So I'm going to Australia.

...

I am telling you the wholesome, God-fearing truth.  I, Little Miss Sunshine, am picking up my possessions and moving to Austraaaalia for a year.  This is a year of the calendar variety, mind you, not the school variety.  Now, for those of you dear friends unfortunate enough to be acquainted with my packing habits, you know that I loathe packing.  It creates an enormous living, breathing creature of a mess in my room, as is evident right now.  The biggest open space in my room measures about two by eight feet.  The rest of the floor is littered with tubs from the garage where my "home from school but won't fit in the house" stuff has been living, as well as a giant suitcase full of vacuum bags of jackets, long sleeved shirts and gloves.

Thankfully, my dear friends at the ole TSA have set a limit to how many of my earthly possessions I can drag over the ocean with me to Australia.  Two suitcases and two carry ons, said they, most steadfastly.  Two suitcases and two carry ons, that's puh-lenty of room, said I.  And so I set to packing.  Unfortunately, to reference my last post, my normometer affects my packing, too.  One of my first thoughts about what to pack was that absolutely, of course and obviously I should take one of my flower vases.  They have flowers in Australia, right?  And what's a girl to do if she picks a bunch or finds herself with a bouquet (of anything but alstroemeria, please) and no vase!?  After talking with two individuals who have functioning normometers, I have discovered that this is not something usually taken on a trip.  It's ok, I'm still taking one, but it'll be a Mason jar so it can double as a drinking glass.

But really, how does one prioritize?  Christmas lights?  Of course!  My entire set of C.S. Lewis books?  Of course!  My apron and recipe box?  Don't bother asking!  My superman blue tights?  Costume party ready!  Thus far, I've filled the large brown suitcase with clothes.  The next quarterback to sack will be a second suitcase, followed by my backpack.  The lineup for the second suitcase is looking like shoes, lots of books, office-y things, and the clothes that didn't fit in the brown suitcase.

Oh yes, you caught that right.  I'm going to have an OFFICE!  Does that mean pencil skirts and pumps every day?  Probably not.  But it does mean I should probably pack my favorite paper clips and green stapler with green staples.  Now I can try those office workouts I read about in magazines but have no office to do them in.  Maybe they'll even put me in charge of menial tasks like making coffee!  Oh, office life, get ready, here I come!

What in the blue as my superman blue tights blazes am I doing in Australia, you might ask.  Well.  I intend to introduce Australians to authentic Mexican food, see a kangaroo in person, and learn about Australian socioeconomical edurelational familialculturo... just kidding, except about the Mexican food.  I'm serious about Mexican food.  Nope, I'm going to be the youth intern at a little church that doesn't have any youth.  So, I won't really be working with the youth group, I'll be finding youth to group.  After I find some youth to group, I'm hoping it'll be pretty rigorous.  We'll be doing Bible studies on the important theological tenets of the faith, playing our hearts out in field days, and of course - eating Mexican food, and teaching them about Thanksgiving.

But before that, I've got to figure out how to appease my inner scholar and inner diva and get the stilettos and the mini library to fit in one suitcase...

Much love,

Little Miss Sunshine

1 comment:

  1. Loved reading this, Cassie... Entire CS Lewis libary eh? Perhaps it is time to invest in a Kindle or Booknook... Hope Australia is ready for you and Sarah... Looking forward to updates...

    ReplyDelete