Tuesday, August 9, 2011

The Nature of Sunshine, and a Little Shopping

So my name's Little Miss Sunshine.  Most people take that to mean that I'm happy, enthusiastic, warm, all those things they think of when they think sunshine.  I am most of those things most of the time.  On other occasions, I have to remind people that sunshine also causes sunburns and ant explosions under magnifying glasses.  Yesterday was one such day.  


Boy, was I mad!  I was frustrated about a situation between a friend and I that needs resolving, I was feeling pre-leaving blues, and we went bowling.  Nice little cocktail of anger, frustration, confusion and failure (bowling!).  Yeah, my scores were 52 and 41.  It always sounds like such a good idea to go bowling, but then I get there and remember that if I were told I had to get one strike in ten frames or be mauled by a rabid tortoise, I would be doomed.


Thankfully, with the help of sleep and a bike ride this morning, all that silly negative business is disposed of and I can check off "get un-mad" on my to do list for today.  


This morning, my brother and I helped out at a little community center/church plant close to our house that our church is involved with.  We just played with little kids and tried to practice our Spanish.  Most of them are bilingual, but there are a few who don't have much English.  We drew castles, sang songs and ate cookies.  Nothing like hanging out with kids to get your mind off yourself!


This afternoon, my mom and I went to Forever21.  The idea of going to this store always has safe, positive connotations for me because it's cheap, and I feel like if I shop there, I can't help but come out with something fashionable.  Ladies and gentlemen, the 80s have re-arrived.  Oh my.  I have never seen so many crazy prints in my life.  I tried on a geometric print sleeveless mini dress.  The patterns were super fun, but it was the sort of dress that says, "Don't let me interrupt you from checking out my backside to discuss theology or the meaning of life".  I did find some cute navy shorts with a narrow belt, and a dress the color of passionate pumpkins (you know, that orange that says the same things that the founding fathers did - endowed by their Creator with certain, unalienable rights, and among these are life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.)


Everyone has their style tendencies, mine is dresses.  Formal - like the wine colored one shoulder short formal I was drooling over until I realized I wouldn't have anywhere to wear it in Australia, or casual - like the passionate pumpkin I ended up with.  They're comfortable and girly and can say all kinds of things like: 


I'm SO sassy
I'm totally out of your league
Yes, actually I AM the classiest girl at this party
The library is my happy place
My middle name is hippie
I have great legs


My other style flinch is solid colors.  I was bemoaning this fact while standing in a sea of 80s prints, loving them, but not knowing where to start.  Sadly, at the checkout, my mom pointed out that I ended up with two solid colored pieces!  AGHDSLFK:OWEFNS:KDJFB!  After all my well-intentioned store picking, I end up with two boring things!  They're cute, but they don't exactly scream "cutting edge fashion".  


I do love a challenge, and this shopping trip was not without a challenge.  Because my insightful mother knows I choose the things I buy so painstakingly (read - I'm a slow shopper), she gave me ten minutes to pick out three pairs of earrings.  I took the bait.  The first pair took up half of my time.  I almost went for the chandelier-gold-fringey-feathered ones that nearly reached my shoulder, but decided that maybe a youth intern didn't do that kind of thing?  The three winners were a gold braid hoop, white fabric flower studs, and some teal/salmon/cream/gold dinner plates.  


Now... to these new aquisitions in my suitcase...


Little Miss Sunshine

1 comment:

  1. Makes me smile to hear "the library is my happy place." Wonder if you had one of your fans in mind when you wrote it. LOL

    ReplyDelete