Thursday, September 22, 2011

Cheers

They like to say cheers here.  I like that.  They don't say it in regards to cheerleaders, it's more of a substitute for "ok, great". 

Life in Australia.  What do I say about life in Australia?  We moved.  Our house sitting gig was up, so our guardian angels got busy and Mr. and Mrs. P said of course we could stay with them until we drove each other crazy - direct quote.  So we moved in yesterday.  We have our own bedrooms, and Mrs. P said there's icecream in the freezer for when we want it.  :)  They're wonderful.  They said that when they visited the States, they received such hospitality that it's a pleasure to return the favor.  Wow.  Blessed. 

On Friday, school holiday begins.  It lasts two weeks, and the first week, SG and I are going to CAMP.  You know how I feel about camp.  I love love love it.  It's a Christian camp, but the focus is introducing kids to Jesus who don't know Him yet.  Aaaaand there will be surfing, hip hop dance groups, bands, and lollies (candy).  It's going to be fantastic.  During the other week I think we'll just... go kangaroo spotting?  Maybe we'll go to the city and wander around museums or something. 

On Saturday, we have the fabulous good fortune of accompanying the illustrious Mr. other P and his wife to the footie!  AHHHHHH.  It's almost like going to the Superbowl.  It's a big deal.  Everyone's a die hard fan.  Moms and grandmas are included.  They all have THEIR team and they follow the brackets closely.  It's kind of a crazy game.  You can score at different places in the field, you can kick the ball, throw it, run with it, whatever.  It's crazy.

Work is going well.  Had my first cranky customer Wednesday night.  Maybe he was just having a bad day.  We'll give him the benefit of the doubt.  It wasn't even the guy that I had to ask three times what he was ordering.  I apologized and said I didn't speak Australian very well.  He just laughed.  Whew.  But LAST night, I got my first waitress compliment!  Let me tell you, positive words can make your day miles more than good tips.  It was just a table of kids my age, and on the way out one of the girls said I had really good customer service.  I was floating.

Tonight we get to hang out with "the friends", who aren't really our friends yet, but we're working on it.  Our darling friend Ch invited us to her small group tonight, and we're going.  And we're excited!  Fellowship and study/prayer time is becoming more precious to me as I see its effects.

Love from down undah

LMS

Language laugh of the week, last night a guy ordered a millo... I asked him to repeat it twice and wrote it down phonetically.  I asked my boss, and he didn't know what I was talking about.  I had to walk back to the table and ask him to spell it!  Lo and behold, he wanted a merlot!  Ohhhh language barriers!

No comments:

Post a Comment