Saturday, September 17, 2011

Facts and fashion predicaments

Reader.  I've happened upon a predicament.  Said predicament is as follows.  There are things in my life that happen that veritably scream to be written about, that probably should not be written about.  Prime example - my husband hunt.  The term alone would probably depopulate men for a good 15,000 mile radius.  Secondary example - people.  Assuming you know a few, you'll agree with me when I say the creatures are hilarious.  I would gladly caricature a few, except for one problem.  They're real people.  Real people sometimes get their feelings hurt when caricatured, and that is not something I'm willing to be responsible for.  Quite the predicament.  This morning while I was blow drying my hair, which is getting quite long and time-consuming to dry, I was pondering this very predicament.

I don't know how you will find my solution, but while I was gazing into my own soul in the mirror while drying my hair, I thought telling stories on oneself and other selves would be much more convenient if one had the guise of writing fiction.  Fiction writing enables writers to take what is real, put it in a blender, add an arbitrary amount of milk and peach yogurt and serve up something delightful.  I could tell stories how I wanted, create a character named Georgia Delaney Hawthorne who is brave and impatient enough to cut her hair daringly short... remember I was blow drying my hair at the time.

Anyway, then I could write as I pleased and call the ramblings "Curious George" not because I particularly like the children's stories, more because Georgia is called George after Nancy Drew's dear friend who is a girl with short hair.  Also Curious George because said monkey's owner wears a yellow hat and I am rather fond of yellow.  I could tell you stories about Mrs. Grantham, who is married to Mr. Grantham - naturally - who George befriends and sometimes thinks unscrupulous thoughts about.  I could tell you stories about Michael and Corie, the aged Mr. Dearing whose prayers should be framed and hung in a church, and Emma.  You would never know if Mr. Dearing really existed, or if the thoughts that George had about Michael and Corie are the thoughts I have about... well, anyway.  I'd still give all the old factual updates about what's really going on in Australia, of course, but these tales of Georgia Georgie George would be for our mutual amusement and enjoyment.  What think you, fair critics of my rambles?

In other news, sometimes I hate my conscience.  There are various reasons for this statement, but the one today is I want to wear leggings.  Australian fashion has not been one of our topics of conversation here, mostly because there are more important things to talk about, like food and people and sunsets.  However, being around oodles of young moms at the playgroup SG and I are helping with, we've noticed something.  AUSTRALIANS WEAR LEGGINGS AS PANTS!  This may cause you to give the head tilt of confusion for one of two reasons.  Either you are wondering how I have missed lots of people all over the world wearing leggings as pants, or you are wondering why people think leggings are an appropriate substitute for pants.  Fear not, I am not as removed from the fashion world as you might think.  I have noticed this increasing frequency of leggings as pants.  However, in the circles I move in, this is not an appropriate answer for the What shall I wear today? question.  However #2, here, it is widely accepted and not usually frowned upon.

In my case for leggings, I cited the great adage "when in Rome".  Also, have you ever worn leggings?  They're like fabric skin, except warmer, and they come in many colors.  Also, I have reasonably attractive legs that would not dishonor the image of leggings as pants.  This is the line of argument I was taking when my conscience took the floor and immediately cited my brother, who said "leggings should not be worn as pants".  This rankled things a bit, as I hold my brother's opinion in very high regard.  After letting the gravity of the situation sink in, my conscience followed with Crouch's ideas on making culture.  Could we truly so blithely leave culture making to the social powers that be?  Oughtn't we be engaged in shaping culture ourselves?  Subscribing to culture by wearing leggings as pants was not shaping culture.  Shape or be shaped.  Then he let the Summit fly.  How in world can sensible young men remain sensible young men when women are walking around in leggings?  Surely the demise of chivalry cannot be long behind the demise of modesty.  I could not exactly fit unsensiblizing men into my credo of doing all things for the glory of Christ the King.  I was a fish without a lake, a pat of butter without bread, a debater without an argument.  Blasted conscience, you have preserved my quality of life once again, and begrudgingly, I thank you.

Recommendation of the day, add potatoes to your omelets.  The last two omelets I've made have been a smashing success due to the presence of potatoes.  I thinly slice them and let them cook in the skillet for a few minutes and then add my eggs, cheese, pesto, spinach, etc.

Affectionately yours,

Little Miss Sunshine

No comments:

Post a Comment