Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Fajitas, tree climbing, and book reviews

I finished it.  No, not A Tale of Two Cities, which I'm still reading.  I just finished What's So Amazing About Grace by Philip Yancey.  I think you should read this book.  I don't care if you're a Bible scholar, never picked up a Bible, don't plan on ever talking to God, or talk to Him every day.  You should read this book.  It's so well written and on a topic that is often lost in the world today.  It makes you think, Nope, this is too good to be true.  But it IS true.  Read it.

SG and I have been looking for jobs.  We want something part time to make a little travel money and get home money.  Australia being a civilized country, we naturally cracked open the Saturday local paper and looked for someone who wanted to hire crazy American girls to serve coffee, paint houses, answer phones, whatever.  There was even a plumbing apprenticeship I considered, but you had to have a driver's license.  I got a call today, which I returned this afternoon.  I talked to a woman who said the place was a Mexican restaurant.

Friends.  Can we talk about the irony of this statement?  I, Little Miss Sunshine, was born to Mr. and Mrs. Sunshine, who grew up in Small Border Town in Arizona, USA.  I, Little Miss Sunshine, was eating tacos and chimis before I could sing along with Barney.  I travel literally as far away from home as I can get, and the job I have the opportunity for?  A Mexican restaurant!  This is my moment.  I've fried my own tacos, made my own enchiladas with cream sauce, this could be my culinary magnum opus!  Oops, got a little carried away and forgot this was a waitressing position.

Waitressing is one of those things.  It's like surfing, like driving on the left side of the road, like reading War and Peace.  I want to try it to see if I can do it, but I'm not entirely sure I'll be successful.  They don't really tip here, I don't think, they just pay better.  That's a pity because the customer service/ remembering names part of this job is something I could do.  Balancing four scalding plates on one arm and floating through an obstacle course of customers is another matter.  What if I spill flaming hot fajitas on someone!?  What if I forget an order?  Oh dear.  On the other hand, I could be a legend.  A walking, talking, history making waitress legend.  I could develop my own curriculum for successful waitress training.  Never know until you try... kind of like that tree I climbed yesterday.  Look for the dark mass towards the top of the tree.  That's me.


Reason #532 I'm glad to be here with Sarah: she's a better runner than I am.  We did a 33 minute run this morning, lots of hills and a sprint at the end.  It was great, and I almost quit lots of times except that I was running with Sarah, so I had some dignity to preserve.  :)

Love from down under,

LMS

No comments:

Post a Comment