Saturday, September 10, 2011

On the Nature of Blogs and Bloggery

Have you noticed?  Now you're wondering what the heck you were supposed to be noticing that you obviously overlooked.  No, it's not my birthday.  No, Michael Jackson hasn't been found alive in Rio.  No, they haven't found a way to make ooey gooey cake both delicious and nutritious.  What you may or may not have noticed is bloggering has exploded like a plate of lasagna in the microwave.

Occasionally, I like to browse through the blogs of note, just trying to keep tabs on what's hot, or what the Blogger people deem noteworthy.  It's just like checking out foxnews.com or ESPN or something, just keeping a tab on the pulse of the culture.  Well, let me tell you, bloggery has nothing in common with a pulse.  There are blogs for EVERYTHING!  No regular, steady rhythm, unless you were to zoom way out and summarize with "everyone blogs".

There are food blogs, dude blogs, how to track your mood blogs.  At the risk of sounding like Dr. Seuss, which wouldn't be a bad thing, I'll continue.  There are politics blogs, economics blogs, and free your dog from ticks blogs.  Some of the popular ones lately have involved topics like weather (limited marketability, *snooze), fashionable older women (I'm dead serious, it's one of the blogs of note this minute), and something about a guy taking a road trip and eating lots of McDonalds.

I have mixed feelings about this bloggery pandemic.  On the left hand, people are writing and expressing themselves.  Sometimes this can be therapeutic and provide an avenue to share difficult experiences with others or just practice writing.  But really, some of these people should realize that a sea of internet friends is not as effective or wonderful as a handful of honest to goodness friends.  Tea friends, Glee friends, whoever you happen to be friends.  No amount of internet relationship building can replace authentic person to person relationships.

On the right hand, everyone's blogging.  You don't have to have any talent, you just have to be a Gerald, Jack or Sophie with access to a computer.  I would hope that, as the hope of democratic republics, that bad blogs or dumb blogs would slowly lose readership and quality would prevail, while still preserving the freedom for anyone to give it a go.

On the hand that I don't have (the third hand), I'm in Australia.  That isn't terribly significant, save in the sense that I'm separated from family and friends by an ocean and scads of time zones.  Because, and thankfully, they love me and give a rip about what is occupying my time and efforts, I blog.  It's an easy way to disseminate information to the people who care, and I enjoy writing.

Today I had the utmost pleasure of skyping with several of my dearest friends, who happened to be congregated in Dallas for the evening.  I had mentioned that D and M said something about a swing dance club being located somewhere around here.  I wasn't too sure about going because I would likely be going alone.  I am nearly a dance addict, while Sarah prefers to spend her time doing other things.  Their recommendation was to go for it, say yes to anything within reason.  Their logic?  If it goes horribly wrong, at least you will have something to write about.  Thankfully, the parents I acquired through being born have been most gracious in allowing me to try new things and use my own judgment.  So, if I find the right venue, a-dancing I will go!

Off to read some Wodehouse.  The man is hilarious.

Little Miss Sunshine


No comments:

Post a Comment