Saturday, October 1, 2011

Jesus, slime and sticky date pudding

Friday, I made a list of the things I wanted to blog about when I got back from camp. These things came out more in titles than bulleted events or ideas. Talking about camp could be lengthy, but I will try to not belabor the details.

Overview. If you just want the short version, read this.
SG and I were leaders this week at a camp for kids 6th-12th grade. It was put on by a lot of different churches and we had a wide range of kids from churchy kids to never said the name of Jesus kids. We did activities, got messy, praised God our King with music and talked about the Bible in small groups. It was awesome and Jesus showed up.

Slime and costumes are necessary accoutrements for youth ministry.
I know youth ministry isn't about stuff, it's about turning the hearts of children back to their Father. But there is some stuff involved occasionally. If you are unfamiliar with the stuff list, here is a short version…

Slime: how can you have a giant capture the clothespin game turned food fight under the title of Scum Attack without any slime? Procuring slime is easier than you think. Just take leftovers, chuck them in a blender and add the liquid of your choice. Milk is particularly good, as it is white and its fragrance increases in with time and sunshine.
Costumes: just go ahead and start a costume chest now. You might not need 80s garb tomorrow, but there are camp videos to make, dance nights to dress up for, and general craziness to be prepared for. You'll thank me later.
Nasty food: kids love gross stuff. Call a few kids up to the front and make them eat gross things for a prize. They'll love it. Suggestions - pickled anything, blended things (see recipe for slime, above).
Extensive music library: There's a time (and a playlist) for everything (Ecclesiastes 3), which means you've got to have soundtrack music for hang out coffee time, game night, worship, dance party, and camp video backgrounds.

The Sliming of SG
Once upon a time, there was a beautiful princess. She loved cupcakes, knitting and tea, but don't be deceived, this princess was a pretty tough cookie. One day, the princess decided it would be a good idea to support her troops on the battle field. Unfortunately, two rogue raiders captured the princess and carried her, hand and foot to their stronghold. There they coated her blonde head to pink toe nails in slime (see recipe above). The princess struggled with all her might, screamed with all her lungs, took the sliming with grace, and shivered a shudder of horror at the state of her hair and clothes after she had been released from the stronghold. She made great headway with her people that day, showing that even princesses can have the courage to get dirty for a cause. I'm still getting mud out of my ears after the aforementioned war.

You Know You're at Camp When
  • Taking a break means stepping into the kitchen for a few minutes to do dishes
  • You eat dessert twice a day with lollies in between
  • You burn at least twice as many calories as usual running, jumping, dancing and living life in HD
  • Your biggest concerns are creating safe space for kids to hear about Jesus and cleaning up clogged toilets
  • Staff meetings include prayer, encouragement, and stories about vomit
  • You measure time by events, not days of the week
  • You have more than two hours set aside every day for the sole (or soul) purpose of drawing near to Almighty God

Fellowship around the World
SG and I talked Thursday about how odd it is that camp in Australia and camp in the US is so similar. We sleep in bunks, we eat pasta, we spend time in praise and worship, kids try our patience, and crazy games are on tap for the whole afternoon. Hanging out with the Aussie camp crew was just like hanging out with friends back home. The fellowship and community we have because of the faith that we treasure is incredible.

Untangling the Ultimate Knot
In recounting highs and lows of camp, this touched both ends. Hearing the stories of kids' lives is disheartening. Hearing about broken relationships with parents and friends is common, sprinkled with substance abuse and physical or verbal abuse. I knew that God was working in their hearts through worship and Dan's teaching, but I was still discouraged. These kids would be going back to places where love is not seen, where dysfunction is generational. Even if their hearts were changed, there was still this ultimate knot of broken relationships and sad situations. Through it all, God was quick to say "I am big enough. I am strong enough. I can tackle the biggest of messes. Trust Me." I saw God crack the shells of so many kids this week. His love is powerful and sorely needed in their lives. My prayer is that it continues to work in their hearts, slowly and relentlessly, bringing light to their hearts and homes.

Anger Management
Although I wouldn't characterize myself as an angry person, there are certain things that make me want to smash plates. Thankfully, my filter is fully installed and functioning, so this rarely translates into action.  Whether it's a natural occurrence or if we've been conditioned, teenagers don't always love authority in their lives or show respect to said authority. There were a few times during camp when kids just went off on each other, or arched their eyebrow at a leader defiantly, or just seemed completely tuned out. My emergency low patience light was freaking out, but God was so faithful to show me that His love was enough for these kids, whatever their attitudes or issues were. I also realized that I often have great difficulty giving grace because I have great difficulty receiving grace. When I am tuned in to the way that God loves me, I am quick to forgive and extend grace. When I am struggling with the idea that Jesus wanted to die for me, He didn't just get suckered into it, I become quickly impatient, critical and discouraged. The love of Jesus is smashing, drenching, inescapable. That's when the anger melts away and I am able to see kids who have been hurt and lash out because they know no better.

Side note: I had forgotten that junior high boys smell funny and try to go a week without showering… I remembered this week.

Camp was wonderful, and I am so blessed to have been a part of it.

I also think we should do a brief vocabulary update…
  • Dropkick: goodfornothing
  • Fairy bread: sliced bread, buttered and covered with sprinkles
  • Bolognaise: spaghetti sauce
  • Clothes horse: drying rack
  • Milo: chocolate milk mix brand
  • Rock up: show up
  • No dramas: no worries
  • Oi: hey pay attention


Love from down undah,

Little Miss Sunshine

2 comments:

  1. This is wonderful! It was lovely and funny to read and it was the most incredible blessing to share time and sadness and fun and God moment with you on this trip. I'm so glad you in Australia for some time and can't wait for more shenanigans.
    Love Cherie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeh I agree with CHEZDOG (woo! nickname stuck!). It was really affirming to hear your thoughts about Smash camp and the shenanigans that goes with Smash camp! Cheers for being bright and filled with joy for camp. Dan

    ReplyDelete