Sunday, October 30, 2011

Dinner, Party of Five


The phrase "dinner party" for me evokes images of the 1950s, roasts and martinis, which is funny because that is certainly not the kind of dinner parties I throw. The first one I ever hosted was in 2005. I was a junior in high school and my friend Jen and I wanted to throw a dinner party for our volleyball team. So we did. Plenty of mistakes and successes later, I still love them. There's a little more room for the fancy and formal but without the need to be stuffy and dreadful. When I'm hosting a dinner party, I always feel so posh and polished, unless I'm burning French bread or we run out of ice… It's probably just a silly piece of pride, playing hostess, but maybe at least the guests feel at ease and eat well.

Last night, Sarah and I hosted our first Australian dinner party. Place cards were simple, done with Sarah's handwriting font. The menu needed to be both gluten free and vegetarian and was a smashing success, with room for improvement (always).

Pumpkin Soup
3/4 of a Kent pumpkin
2 small potatoes
1 onion
3/4 litre chicken broth

Roast the veggies, puree them in a food processor, stream in the broth, season to taste and poof, you have soup.

Warm Salad
Red onion
Zucchini
Red bell pepper
Spinach
Feta

Saute the first three ingredients, add the spinach until it wilts, finish with some feta on top.

Strawberry Parfaits
Diced strawberries that have sat in a sprinkle of sugar
Macaroons
Whipped cream

Layer strawberries, cream and crushed macaroons. Serve in teacups.

Three of our Aussie friends came and brightened the house with their laughter. We yarned for several hours about movies, food, and friends. It's no good being a place without friends. We are so thankful for them!

Little Miss Sunshine

No comments:

Post a Comment