Thursday, October 6, 2011

Curious George Saves a Penny

This is not looking good. I know little about budgeting, but what I do know is that money flowing in must either match or exceed money flowing out, or else you're in trouble. It seems quite a simple equation until you are beguiled by silly magazines to move out to make your own way in the world and have to start paying for things. Growing up, you may have been sheltered from the effects of Murphy's Law. Well, here the parental windbreak has been removed and I'm responsible for, well, being responsible. The bottom line is, my job at the museum is not paying as much as I thought it would, and my expenses are going to be close to equal to my income.

There are two ways to solve this problem that I can see. I either lower my expenses or raise my income. I've been trying the first option, but I don't think it's making enough of a dent, and I refuse to live on macaroni and cheese rice. Here's the plan. I'm going to apply for a waitressing job. There's a little place not far from my house called Sylvia's Bakery and Bistro that's hiring. I've never been a waitress. Working the counter at Beefy's Burgers in high school certainly does not count.

My resume is ready, and my plan is to go down tomorrow afternoon. I think I'll wear my khaki button skirt and that salmon colored sweater and the brown flats that remind me of eyelet fabric. You can see I've thought this through a little. My selling points will be that I learn quickly (memorizing museum facts), have experience responding to the needs of a variety of customers, and that I'm reliable. We'll see what happens.


Update: IT WORKED! Somehow I convinced the manager that somewhere deep inside me was a capable waitress just waiting to come alive. Sometimes I think I should have gone into acting instead of docent-ing. I start training Friday at 2pm. Hurrah! Learning curve, here I come.

Much love,

Georgie

No comments:

Post a Comment