Saturday, October 8, 2011

Birthday Party Gone Awesome


As I have mentioned before, we are making friends. One of these friends is Will, also known by the names Willis, Will I Am, William, Willow, etc. He would have to spend a while filling out tax forms because he has so many alternate names. Will is also the current holder of the prestigious "Funniest Aussie We've Met So Far" Award. Birthdays are wont to happen to everyone, even in Australia, and Will is no exception. Being the kind of guy Will is, he decided instead of taking himself out for steak, he would buy pastries and lollies and fruit and invite his friends over. WE GOT INVITED!

This was no ordinary party. First, it was a birthday party. Second, it was an Australian birthday party, which we're still figuring out. Third, it was a COSTUME party - Lizabeth, wish you were here! So of course, the moment Will told me the rules: wear a costume that starts with the first letter of either of your names, I was brainstorming. We're talking thunder, lightning, torrential downpour brainstorm. My favorite idea was tearing out Friday from my planner and carrying it around with a clock. Carpe that diem! I recognize that I have a tendency to be a little abstract and odd sometimes, so I ditched that idea when Cat and Cherie offered me the third slot in their coveted trio of Charlie's Angels.

I donned my bubble gum pink pants, which Sam later asked if I had brought to Australia on purpose, my white button up with collar popped, my beige peeptoe heels, and as much gold jewelry as I could find. I tried to make my hair voluminous, but it refused. Cherie was my arms dealer and had bought me a gun to complete the ensemble. Cat picked SG and I up, and we were off! SG was snugly surrounded by her soft sleeping bag, dressed as a slumber partier. We arrived at Willis's house, not before we had picked up a stray dog after almost hitting it in the street… it seems Cat, true to her name, is a fairy godmother to furry creatures.

We knew a few people there so we talked to them around the fire, making introductions where necessary. You kind of have to be a secret agent when you're in situations like this… Tess is dating that guy who's cousins with that girl over there, this girl's name is Hannah and she goes to church with these people. This is Nate, who you recognize because he's in TJ's wedding picture, and he lives with Sam and he's dating Lucy. Tricky business. There were some fun costumes present. Will, the birthday man, was dressed as a gangsta, there was a tree, school girls, Juliet, and even Wonder Woman, also known as Deb, made an appearance.

I am competitive. It's funny because the Australians are beginning to pick up on this. Last night, Will, in his benevolent wisdom, brought out the ping pong table, which commenced a long battle of around the world. I held my own at the table, except for the part where I was running to the other side and my heel plunged between the boards of the deck and I got stuck. Bother. I lost plenty of matches, but it was heaps of fun. Later we played some kind of primitive battle game, which I was trounced at, and Mario Kart, which I represented the family name pretty well.

Also, they don't know what root beer is here. Weird. But they do have ginger beer, which has a similar taste, with a twang of ginger.

Final report of the party- fabulous. Thank you, Will I Am, for being born and giving us a reason to celebrate.

Little Miss Sunshine

No comments:

Post a Comment