Monday, October 31, 2011

A Comedy of Errors

Me working behind the bar is what you call a comedy of errors. I can dry wine glasses and slice limes with the best of them. Ask me for a CC and Coke? Oh dear. A customer asked me for a CC and Coke last night, and I had to ask him about four times what he was talking about. He finally just pointed to the shelf. *Sigh* But he was very nice about it, so it wasn't a bad thing. Needless to say, on busy bar nights, I avoid the bar at all costs. I'll scrape melted cheese off of a table and bring out steaming enchiladas, but don't ask me to make a fishbowl Red Russian. I don't know what that is.  

Maybe I should get on Wikipedia and just read about drinks for a while.  

Sometimes it's not just that I don't know how to make a vodka lime and soda, it's that I don't know what they're saying. Like the time a customer asked for a moiluh. I wrote it down phonetically on my notepad and asked the boss for a moiluh. He didn't know what that was, so I had to go back and ask him to spell it! Oh, agony of language! What he was trying to order was a MERLOT.

Even if it's not alcohol, sometimes it gets confusing. When someone asks for a pot of Coke, what do you give them? I gave them a litre, but they actually wanted a glass. If it weren't for the emotional relief of laughter, I'd be one defeated waitress. 

Being a waitress is an adventure in daring for me. Sometimes people get cranky or you make mistakes with their orders or they're just weird. But, by golly, they're the customer and you've got to do something about it. They may give you tips, they may swear at you, but either way, you've got to sail on a wind of optimism and perseverance. Courtesy and calm at every turn. It's like what they say about ducks… calm on the top of the water, paddling like mad underneath.

Last night was fun, as it is horse racing season and these people love their horse races. There were HATS! And heels and dresses, which are not uncommon, but HATS! Fabulous hats draped in tulle and feathers and rhinestones! And men in suit jackets and ties! Sometimes I despise young men in suits and ties.. They're so darn distracting. Haha. There was a young curly headed bloke last night who came to the bar while I had the misfortune of being stranded there. I don't remember what he ordered, but he was convinced we'd met before. He asked where he would have seen me… I suggested the names of two churches and reduced him to bewilderment. Linguistically disarmed. Ha. Poor kid. I don't think that's what he was expecting.


Ever adventuring,

Little Miss Sunshine

No comments:

Post a Comment