Monday, December 5, 2011

10, 9, 8, 7...


Today was 10. Ten days until I'm back home. In ten days, our pastor, John, will drive us to the airport, we'll down one of those blue sleeping pills and wake up in the US of A. SG and I have made a paper chain with a link for each day until we're home. The only trouble is we put so much time and color into it, we couldn’t bring ourselves to tear off the links.

We're counting down in other ways. Only three more days at playgroup, one more Bible study, more Sunday at church with Ian and Ilma and George. As one of several last hurrahs, we're going to get chips tomorrow. I know, they're only steak fries, but we've been commissioned to try the mysterious Australian invention known as chicken salt. Maybe they're pulling our legs, but we think it's real, and supposedly it goes on chips.

Let me tell you, I love being in Australia. Waking up every morning and tip toeing downstairs and across the wooden floors to dish up some potatoes and onions or berry yogurt or whatever I'm having for breakfast is great. Playing with three year olds is great. Being a ten minute walk from the beach is great. But there is no way my love for Australia is going to diminish my excitement for coming HOME.

Home means mom's tacos, listening to SportsCenter twice in a morning, playing board games, going to the theater, brother snuggles, Zanna and Princess Punkin time, time at the church I love so much. I can't wait to be back in the desert. Sunsets over the ocean are pretty breathtaking, but I miss my desert explosions of gold and pink over the mountains.

I know the month home is going to fly by, with a side trip to Texas/Arkansas to see a couple friends, and catching up with people. I don't know what I can do to throw salt on it, that is, preserve it. Maybe sleep less and try not to read any books? I love reading, but reading can be done on planes and in Australias. Maybe stare at my family while I'm eating instead of looking at my plate. I want to soak up their faces, but I guess that would be a little creepy. Maybe I'll just stick to Liz's advice - just say yes. Yes to bowling, yes to lunch dates, yes to sand volleyball, yes to the movies. I might have to adopt a carefully calculated yes budget, but it can be done (that's why they made dollar theaters).

Xoxo

Little Miss Sunshine


No comments:

Post a Comment