Wednesday, December 7, 2011

and then I found $10

Really. I did, but I'll get to that part in a minute.  First there was lounging and reading about Martin Luther and the big, bad wolf and... maybe I should start at the beginning.

Tuesdays are our days off.  While we love the things we are working hard at, we also love days off.

I awoke at approximately 7:07, but did not make myself leave my bed until approximately 7:41.  Normal things happened like breakfast and then it was back to bed for some 1 John and Martin Luther biography (very interesting and biographies look good on resumes).  Not much happened between 8 and 11, except maybe I cleaned my room.

At 11, our friend Zoe picked us up and took us back to her house for a barbie (American - BBQ) with our other friend, Lisa.  I use these terms loosely, as they would be closer to the "friendly acquaintances" category. They have small children who happen to be cute and funny.  Two of these cute and funny children are girls who like to play little pigs and big bad wolf in the playhouse.  We took turns.  You should see my big bad wolf impression.

Lisa dropped us off at the library, and we did some errands around town before hiking up the hill towards home sweet home.  We were ambling and rambling, minding our own dear business when all of a sudden, WHAT HO!  A ten dollar note was lying right in our path.  It could have not been more obviously in the center of the sidewalk.  (Aussie - footpath)  A short trial was held on the ethics of the situation, and the area was inspected for a poor person dispossessed of said note.  Upon finding no one, the vote was unanimous, and the note was collected into the coffers of the author and SG.

We were ecstatic.  When's the last time you found ten dollars and circumstances under which you felt it ok to keep it?  Yeah. Exactly.  At the top of the hill, we met Kate and Nat for a Skype date, donned our bathers (American - swimsuits) and packed our bags.  The day could not have been more beautiful.

After dutifully slathering each other with sunscreen, we galloped screaming into the water, bent on having a swim.  It was delicious, and we returned to our towels to dry in the sun like grapes in Mexico before they become raisins (Aussie - sultanas).  A couple of hours set us right and we walked downtown in search of chicken salt, which was supposedly a common additive to chips (American - steak fries).  We found what we were looking for, burned our tongues on hot chips bought with three of our ten found dollars, and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

Today was a beaut (American - beauty) of a day too, as we ended up at the beach with Chez and some of the crew.  ANDANDAND.  Prepare yourself.

We found.

A STARFISH!

I was beside myself with glee.  I held it.  A starfish.  In my hand.

It was just there, swimming in the great ocean, well, not really swimming, more just sitting.


Much love to you,

LMS

No comments:

Post a Comment