Friday, December 30, 2011

Notes from the dance floor


Wednesday was just one of those great days.  For one, I got to revisit the halls of nerd-dom with my high school friends. Invariably we spend more time talking about philosophy, politics and theology than what we're up to.  We're all in different fields; we have businessmen, engineers, educators, scientists and computer techs.  Seldom does my brain get such a well-rounded workout than when I'm having hearty conversations with my high school friends.  I think people walking by at Starbucks must wonder what's happening when they walk by and hear snatches of "Hume would say…", "what Socrates was really talking about…", "we're isolating the cell that…". 

From there I went straight to African Fusion dance class.  I bought an AmazonLocal deal for 5 dance classes for $10.  I was a happy camper.  The first one I went to was ballet aerobics.  The next day I had muscles sore that I didn't know existed.  So we African Fusioned it up, doing the swimmer, swat, skier, squat, all to the rhythm of African drums. 

Drive home, in the shower, out of the shower, into my mom's cowboy boots, down some caesar chicken salad a la mom, and off to the next bout of dancing. 

[Have I ever mentioned my fiery, burning love for dancing of all sorts?]

I drove with Cait to a little venue where the country music was lilting and the boots were scooting.  We met some friends there and danced the night away.  The company was great, as was the music.  I danced with the friends, which was so fun, and I danced with some guys I didn't know.  The latter experience ranged from slightly creepy to amazing quality of leading and footwork.  Here I would like to take the time to note a few things about dancing in general. 

1. Ask me to dance.  You're working with 97:3 ratio.  For every 100 times you ask me to dance, guys, 97 of them will be a yes.  If it's a no, it means I'm deathly ill, or I think you're a serial creeper.  It drives me crazy when guys sit on the wall and don't dance.  I WANT TO DANCE.  I know you're nervous, but if I can almost guarantee your success in advance, doesn't that help?

2. How do I say "I WANT TO DANCE" without opening my mouth?  I haven't exactly figured this one out.  Would it behoove me to stand with my friends?  Away from my friends?  Hands in the pocket?  Is hands on the hips intimidating?  Look for someone to make eye contact with?  Stare off into the distance?  I think part of it is dancing with all the people you came with.  If people know you aren't tied to one partner, like a husband or siamese twin, they'll probably be more likely to ask you to dance.

3. If you are not a great dancer, that's OK!  Refer to #1 for reassurance.  I want to dance.  Period.  If we just do the 1 move you know, that's OK.  Stop feeling self-conscious and use that energy to focus on getting better. 

4. Notes on wardrobe.  Dancing requires some wardrobe forethought.  If it's going to fall down, ride up, or fall off, don't wear it.  Wear shoes that will stay on with spinning, dipping and flying.  You'll probably sweat, so medium color tones might not be the best choice for the armpits.  It's a tricky business, getting dressed for a dance.  I took a risk and wore my mom's cowboy boots, which were a great stylistic choice, but ended up, eh, rubbing me the wrong way in the heel direction.  (Boots are a great protective measure if you happen to be dancing with beginners who haven't learned to step where your toes aren't.)  Hair is also a tricky one because no one likes getting flicked in the face with long locks.  If you can keep it out of your eyes and have it down, go for it.

5. There will be awkwardness.  Yes, you can have the finesse of a snow leopard, but the likelihood of awkward moments is still high as a hippie.  There will be times that you get asked to dance in the middle of a song, so you're stuck with the decision of whether to take the next song or part ways with a "Thanks for that dance, it was lovely".  Usually you end with that and walk back to whatever wall you were standing against nervously.  There will also be times when someone dances with you for three songs.  That's not a disaster because it means you're dancing.      

Thanks to the crew who went for a wonderful time.  I realized last night how much I enjoy my guy friends.  I've missed hanging out with my college group of guy friends, so it was great to go out and have some fun last night with the hometown crew.  I came home happy and sore of foot, eager to whirl around that dance floor again soon.

Much love and may your dance card always be full,

Little Miss Sunshine

1 comment:

  1. The secret to being asked to dance is 1. Dance with everyone in your group (you're right, it avoids the "is she single" problem), and 2. Tap your foot/feet to the beat and smile. I've never had to wait longer than one song at a dance hall for a cowboy to come over and ask if I want to dance. ;)

    ReplyDelete