Saturday, December 24, 2011

Merry Stressmas!

Christmas should be all kinds of things.  It should be merry and bright.  It should be full of decking halls and silver bells and sleigh rides.  The other day, however, it was full of being mad.  I just wanted to buy the right present.  I wanted something that would say I love you and I value you and if you asked me to dig a ditch to China, I would, just for you.  Unfortunately, there aren't presents that come with that on the tag.  

Mostly, the problem was I forgot my shopping mantra... "I will be decisive, I will be successful".  So there I was, wandering around Target, searching for that perfect something that would accomplish Christmas magic.  I wavered, I vacillated, I failed.  Thankfully, I ran into my mother and she told me to just go home and try again the next day.  So I quit and went home, leaving the battlefield for another day.  I was mad.  I wanted the right present!  I wanted it to say the right thing!  I wanted to be done Christmas shopping in October like a good, organized firstborn.  

Today was a different story.  I came equipped with my secret weapon.  Forget Woad Raiders (yes, Age of Empires reference), I had a Goad Raider, who happened to be my dad.  Dad doesn't adhere to the shopping mantra verbally because it's so internalized.  Decisive, successful - the goad for any girl with shopping troubles.  

My Goad Raider and I arrived at the mall after a great lunch at a little BBQ dive.  Cars snaked sluggishly into the mall in long lines.  We lamented everyone else's belated shopping excursions, knowing that we were the ones to blame.  People were rushing here and there, picking up last minute presents. 

Let me tell you, this battle was over almost before it began.  {Sidenote: I just saw a commercial for Wendy's double cheeseburger... gross.}  I was making good decisions all over the place.  I was on fire.  Why can't every shopping excursion be like that?  

One thing I've noticed about Christmas as I've gotten older is Christmas can be the most stressful time of the year.  Families are trying to coordinate and share time together, and we know families aren't perfect.  Aunt Rita's taste in Christmas sweaters is a little... gaudy, and your cousin Antoine hasn't developed a sense for when jokes are OVER.  So yeah, that's stressful.  Then there's the budget.  We know finances can be one of the biggest stressors in life, and Christmas can be expensive.  You have people in your life that you want to buy the moon for, and people in your life that you are obligated to at least buy a moon rock for.  Chocolate bark buying and ham buying and that new wreath for the living room can quickly get out of hand.  

Suddenly, Christmas goes from holly jolly to as much fun as a paper cut.  Don't be that guy or girl.  Don't you let that happen to you!  There is too much light, too much hope, too much magic to enjoy.  Believe me, you don't have time to get stressed about whether to put pecans in the cranberry salad.  Uncle Herb's allergic to nuts, remember?  Leave them out.  And trying to squeeze in that last Christmas party?  Skip it.  Catch up with those people in April, when you can sit on the patio and enjoy each other's company over a strawberry mint iced tea.  Don't bust the budget.  Write a letter that says you love them and would dig that ditch to China.  Keep Christmas merry and bright, and may all your Christmases be white. 

Much love,

LMS  

No comments:

Post a Comment