Wednesday, December 21, 2011

I just can't be bothered

It's a phrase I love from Australia.  I think we should import it.  "I can't be bothered."  It carries with it a sort of imperial toss of the head and an idea that something isn't worth your time.  Usually you hear it in the context of homework or menial tasks, "I just can't be bothered with running that errand right now."

Well, you know what?  I can't be bothered with being discontent right now.  Today I was talking with two dear friends who were lamenting  the languishing damsels in distress until their Prince Charming shows up.  They were frustrated that anyone, though well meaning, would waste their lives like that.

Over and over, I am reminded of the power of this phase of life.  I have so much time to use for whatever I please!  There are no diapers to change, no meals to plan, no bills to pay.  What am I doing with all this time?!  Wishing I was somewhere else in life?  AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!  Are you kidding me, Miss Sunshine?

No, I'm not joining a convent, and yes, I still don't love being single, but there's a difference between waiting and being idle.  As if the kingdom of heaven revolves around me being happy.  How many thousands of reasons are there to do something besides seeking my own success?  Back in Jr. High, in my Bible drill days, we memorized a verse in Proverbs.  I can always remember the second half - "He will give you the desires of your heart", but never the first.  Maybe that says something about the priorities of my heart, but the first part is "Delight yourself in the LORD".  Not a suggestion, not good advice, it's an imperative.

It sounds like a strange command.  There's not the usual flavor of Old Testament living within the law.  When's the last time you thought about God saying "Enjoy knowing Me".  Don't even think about substituting the word "fun" in there.  No way.  Surely God isn't serious.  It has to be a cosmic practical joke.  Maybe the Hebrew says "Delight in following 7,000 commands of the LORD and don't you dare mess up or you shall be struck by lightening"?  Nope, it's a real verse, in the real Bible.  God commands us to find joy in Him, and we know He wouldn't command us to do something we couldn't do.

Don't forget the second half of the verse, the almost-too-good-to-be-true part.  "And He will give you the desires of your heart".  Sounds like a promise to me.  The more you delight yourself in Him, the more the desires of your heart will line up with the true and good things God loves to lavish on His kids.  This isn't prosperity gospel crap-o-la rubbish promising scarlet sports cars and a Christmas bonus if you enjoy God's presence.  This is the real deal, the good stuff, the joi-de-vivre that money can't buy.

Not to be bothered with small unpleasantnesses when greater things are at stake,

Little Miss Sunshine

1 comment:

  1. Europeans love "can't be bothered" as well. And I love this. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete