Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Crafting, because everyone's doing it!


First, a confession. I am not going to finish that book. Hunch or GoodReads recommended it to me, but it's just not good writing. Coyotes north of Portland that talk and have scarlet uniforms? No. Maybe for 250 pages, but not an ambitious 541. It was promising. It was a kids' chapter book, which I like, named Wildwood, which sounds nice, containing adventures in the woods with talking animals and magic, which was promising. The wording was descriptive, but it just didn't flow quite right. I asked SG what she thought, she wisely advised that life is too short to read bad books. Goodbye, Wildwood, I hope your author improves with practice.

Second, a purchase. Today I bought a dress. I love dresses. I love sundresses, little black dresses, wedding dresses, sweater dresses, even… OK, what the heck. I keep hearing this ticking noise in my room, like Captain Hook's croc is standing outside on my balcony or something. The annoying thing, besides its actual existence, is its inconsistency. Either stop and go away, or be steady enough that I can find you and dispose of your properly, ticking noise! Excuse me while I tend to this situation. Balcony's absence of crocodiles, check. Suitcase's absence of crocodiles, check. No, I didn't pack Scattergories, check. Noise has now stopped again, check.

Back to the subject at hand, dresses. A week ago, I moseyed into the op shop near the library. (Op shop = Australian for thrift store) There, in the recesses of outdated two piece women's suits, I found it. The cutest little tank top floral dress, all for the grand price of $3. (If you're counting, that's a whole 2.10 cheaper than that latte I bought at Starbucks) Impulsively, I tried it on. It fit, and, what's more, it had the feature most dresses should not be without, POCKETS!

Alas and alack, I left it on the rack, thinking, I really don't need more crap. Did I mention it was a little short? Well, today, dear friends, I went back with my compatriot, the illustrious SG, for a second opinion. I bought it. Three dollar dresses that fit are few and far between. Also, I bought a solution for the short problem, a pillowcase. That might a little like What's the capital of Idaho? 5. But it's true. I bought a yellow pillowcase with a ruffle in the artistic hopes that I could just add another band at the bottom. So, yes, I'll conform and post pictures, like all those real crafters who make light fixtures and furniture and knitted hats.

Third, an encounter… maybe that's not the right word. It sounds like I ran into a ghost or a rabid dog or something. Let's call it a… you decide for yourself what you will call it. Today at the little market, SG and I ran into two people! When you move to a new place, those kinds of events become landmarks of settling in. We are blessed to help out with the church play group, which boasts about 70 families spread over three days. That's a lot of moms. Plus there are church people, work people, high school people, and there's always the friends to run into, like when I ran into Jake and distracted him from studying by asking about his apple shaped beanie. It's a good feeling, knowing you have people to run into.

In 29 days, I'll be running into people I haven't seen in a while, and that will be a most joyous occasion, see you there.

LMS

No comments:

Post a Comment