Sunday, November 20, 2011

Rainy water, swimming water, living water


Today was a rainy day. Sometimes it sprinkled and spat, sometimes it cascaded down in sheets, taking the occasional half hour break. I haven't done much today, in that I haven't left the house, and was in my pajamas until 11. However, I did move my lazy bones a bit in preparation for tomorrow. It's a pretty big day, tomorrow. SG and I are leading family Sunday school, helping with the music, giving our weekly report, reading the Scripture reading, and giving a reflection on the reading. That makes it sound like we're a big deal. We're not.

Sometimes I get the idea that I am, that I am important and autonomous enough to put a cap on my helping. If someone asks me to carry one more tricycle out to the playground, I'm going to let them have it, I grumble. Why won't these silly high schoolers eat crust toast. Don't they know there are people who would kill for crust? I complain. We get invited to come hang out with youth, but I don't really want to go because I don't want to be tired for Sunday. At night, as I kneel next to my bed like a four year old, I pray. Jesus, make me more like you. Jesus replies. Do you know what that means? I had no limits to my love, I didn't outgrow washing people's feet, I died the most painful death because I didn't want you to. Do you know what you're asking for?

Thursday, we got to hang out with our Aussie friends for dinner and prayer and general mucking around (Aussie for goofing off). Cath told us stories from her trip to Cambodia and showed some photos of the vibrant colors and glaring poverty there. It's easy enough to ignore when poverty is far from your neighborhood and human sex trafficking doesn't happen on your street corners. She told us about meeting some friends from IJM who do work in the country.

I always leave that house feeling refreshed and challenged. We talked about how silly it is for some to argue that social justice should be our focus of ministry while others say evangelism should be our priority. Can you separate the peanut butter from the jelly? Does loving God and others with all your heart allow any room for neglecting either meeting physical needs or meeting spiritual needs?

Yesterday, I took my first swim in the ocean! Chez met me down at the beach and Sam wandered over as well. As SG often reminds me, we are so blessed to have time for conversations on the beach in the middle of the afternoon. We talked for a while about Thanksgiving and Christmas break and how cold the Antarctic Ocean is. After a reasonable amount of egging on, I vacated my beachfront seat, took off running and plunged headfirst into the water. It really wasn't that cold. Funny enough, I'm still surprised every time I taste salt in the water. Too much time swimming in lakes and rivers for this girl!

Continue to pray for Mr. Matthews, as he's in a lot of pain with his pinched nerve, and they aren't really sure what course of action to take. He hates not being laid up and not out gardening, working with kids, and helping around church.

Well, friends, it's off to work at my favorite local taco joint!

Much love,

LMS


No comments:

Post a Comment