Monday, November 14, 2011

Dates of the up kind

Tonight I was brave at work.  I answered the phone.  Answer the phone?  You may ask.  Little Miss Sunshine has no problems with talking to people.  How does answering the phone take bravery?  

Answering the phone in a noisy restaurant in another country is DIFFERENT!  Sometimes when the phone rings and I'm standing by it, I walk away and find a table to clean so an Aussie will answer it.  Cowardly.  I take responsibility for that.  I've answered the phone a couple times, and I haven't had any major disasters.  I usually just have to ask people to repeat themselves, and take a guess at what they said their name was.  I refuse to be afraid of answering the phone.  There.

In other news, which this is a newsy post, so there will be news.

What's a Lorry? 
Saturday last, a silver Mercedes pulled into a particular lane halfway up the hill that sits at the edge of the little town.  Armed with my nothing sandwich (two pieces of bread, which happens when I don't make time to make an actual sandwich), a couple apples and a carrot, a water bottle, camera, and my thoroughly scuffed cowboy boots.  After a half hour car ride in aforementioned Mercedes, we arrived at our destination, generically The Dandenong Show.  But my experiences at this show were far from generic.  The primary reason I went to this show was I was invited.  A couple from church have several Clydesdale horses that they show, sometimes driving lorries.  A lorry is the Aussie term for a light wagon.  It's also the name for an 18 wheeler, but I'm not talking about those. 

Things I Did at the Dandenong Show
  • Present awards for the Clydesdale horse show
  • Present awards for the cow and calf show
  • Drive a lorry 
  • Ride on a lorry in the Grand Parade

It was an incredible day.  I even got to practice my fair queen wave while I was in the Grand Parade.  There were plenty of other things around at the show - dogs, chickens, alpacas, crafts, expensive icky fair food...

Sundays Are for Singing
Sundays are a pretty big day around here.  The day starts with family worship service, then the regular service where SG and I help with music and present our weekly update, then morning tea (social time), SG usually goes to work, I come home, then she comes home and I go to work!  This past Sunday was special, though, because we had the "Musical Afternoon" after the church luncheon.  

Everyone brought a plate (which means potluck, you don't just bring an empty plate), and we sat and talked and drank tea, etc.  When the slices and sandwiches had been exhausted, we moved into the sanctuary for some music.  SG played some clarinet duets with our first host mom, and I played a little Beethoven.  Our first host dad even came, who doesn't usually come to church.  

Old people are so great.  If you don't know any, go search hedges and highways until you find some.  If you don't think they want to talk to young people, you're wrong, they're just nervous.  

That First Day's a Doozy
This morning, SG and I had the pleasure of attending our dear friends, Sam and Hannah's wedding via Skype.  It's so great to have technology that makes you feel like you're halfway around the world.  We really missed being able to celebrate in person, but so excited for them.  From there, we went to Breakfast with Bill, our Monday morning tradition with our host parents and their friend Bill.  Playgroup at the farm came next, with acres of gardens, pastures, and some very nice scones.  Bible study at the high school was after that, then I crashed and didn't move for an hour.  I dragged myself out of bed for a cup of joe and went to work.

Pray
Please pray for our dear friend, Mr. Matthews.  He has a pinched nerve in his neck and has been stuck at home in lots of pain, unable to eat anything because the pain meds are upsetting his stomach.

Pray for God to grow his church in Australia.

Heaps of love,

Little Miss Sunshine    



No comments:

Post a Comment