Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Flat Stanley and I Go to Melbourne

You know those situations where you could say no, but you say yes instead?  Those situations that sound crazy and are crazy but you made the choices that got you there?  I think I'm in one of those.

Clocks in houses all over this time zone have recently chimed seven in the morning.  Where do I find myself on this newly minted Tuesday morning?  A train, and not just any train - a train I ran for and didn't look to see which one it was!  All trains go to Melbourne, right?  This is what I reasoned as I jogged after the woman from my early morning bus.

Rest assured, dear reader, it was the right train.  being on the train this morning reminds me of butterflies that get on and off subways and hat purchases that will likely turn out to be a mistake.  This morning I am headed to the city to... well, I'm not quite sure yet.  What I do know is I have Flat Stanley tucked safely in my bag and we're going on an adventure.  I packed my bag the night before so in the morning all I had to do was roll out of bed, slide into my jeans and a plaid and tighten down my Chaco straps.  I have my favorite Melbourne map, notebook, Bible, Stanley the traveling flat kid, and of course a wallet and an apple.  (They have beeeautiful pink Lady apples in this country.)  When in doubt, always pack a wallet and an apple.  I was going to eat it on the train, but now I'm knee to knee and hip to hip with three middle aged women and they might mind the crunching.  Back to inventory.  Left back pocket holds my train ticket, right front pocket is the usual chapstick and packet knife and front left is a cough drop and five dollar note.

Here's why this could possibly be a terrible idea.  I'm sick.  Any mother within earshot of my wracking hacking cough would make me stay in bed and give me an IV of soup and herbal tea.  But i packed tissues and a cough drop instead.  Also, tonight, our host parents are hosting a BBQ for some of the people staying in their short term flats.  There will be salad making and cole slawing and general entertaining to do.  Oh yeah, and tomorrow, we host Thanksgiving for 7.  Have we done so much as made a menu?  No.  As you can see, there are carious reasons why this could be a terrible idea.  General foreboding aside, I'm reasonably optimistic that this could turn out alright.



Now arriving in South Yarra, says the recorded voice of the train.  I'm back on the train.  It's 10:40, but it feels like 2 in hte afternoon because I just power walked half of the city.  I am pleased to report, this was not a disaster.  Flat Stanley and I toured the east half of the city after we disembarked at Flinders Street Station.

Let me tell you - Prince of Egypt is a great soundtrack for busy train stations.  i struck out confidently, not knowing where I was going (as is my custom) and went north on Spring St. where I detoured through the Treasury Gardens and saw some Occupying of Melbourne happening.  Then there was the Old Treasury building, Parliament Gardens and the detour on Albert Street to St. Patrick's magnificent Cathedral where I met the lady from Colorado who offered to take a picture of Stan and I.  Then she told me about coming here for her daughter's wedding [don't worry yet, mom], and her trip to a village in Herzegovina where there are aberrations of the blessed mother, which, from what I gathered, means the whole town can feel Mary's presence.  I said, yeah, it's great that we have God's presence with us in the Holy Spirit.  Haha. Divine appointments.

Stanley and I also went through Chinatown and Koorong, the local Christian bookstore before going up to the Queen Victoria Market.  There was a lot to see, but I just bought a mango and a chocolate chip brioche.  I power walked out of there (in the wrong direction), asked for Flinders Station and about faced.

I just had time to job (again) and make it on the train.  i don't remember what to do at the bus stop because I've only done that part once, and that was with SG and written directions.  Oh well, I'll figure something out.  Hopefully, with what's let of my lovely day off, SG and I can plan a Christmas program, plan Thanksgiving and go to the beach before the dinner guests arrive!

Much love,

LMS 

No comments:

Post a Comment