Thursday, November 10, 2011

I'm concerned, and other news


I walked through the sliding glass doors intending only to return The Curious Case of the Dog in the Night-Time which is a well told story, but is tainted by bad language. Maybe I'd look at a few magazines or page through some cookbooks. It started out innocently enough. I want to be an elementary school teacher, so I like kids' books. I walked through the shelves, and out of curiosity I checked to see if they had any Lois Lensky. They didn't, but they had L'Engle, which I've never read, to my shame. Without thinking, I plucked it off the shelf.

Next I wandered through the non-fiction section and found myself among the poetry and plays. Then I had a slim volume of selected poems by John Donne. That was quite enough, as I still had Apricot Jam and Little Women sitting on my bedside pile. Little did I know, when I checked those books out, there was another waiting for me, 606 pages worth of book waiting for me. I don't even like books that are longer than 250 pages.

I walked into the library intending to lighten my book burden by 250 pages. Instead, I added 1000. Something sounds a little fishy, which is a funny thing to say because fish aren't particularly noisy. Is it possible that academic miscreants have created a drug released when you crack open a book? I'm beginning to feel as though I have a problem, a serious addiction. Maybe I need therapy.

The other news, besides my concern about efforts by unknown persons to make me addicted to books, I bought a hat. I don't like to buy things because I don't like to spend money. Part of this is because I don't have much money to spend, but also because I'm just cheap and think money should be spent on things like 401ks and paying off college loans and, well, travel. For all of that, I do love to shop. I walked into CottonOn because it's a cute store and I hadn't been in before. I saw a hat, a slate grey trucker hat with vintagey text on the front. And I wanted it. So I walked out of the store. A couple days later, I saw a kid at playgroup wearing the hat that I almost bought but didn't. I commented to his mom and she said she got it for $2. Yes, you read correctly. So I went back today and bought myself a hat. It's kind of subdued, but it has just enough attitude that I like it. I ripped off the tags and wore it home from the store.

I'm becoming quite proficient in Australian English.

Car park - parking lot
Hozzi - hospital
Full stop - period
Nana nap /kip - little afternoon nap
Trackies - sweat pants
Moccies - moccasins
Flannies - flannel shirts
Kinder - pre school

Also, I come home in 5 weeks from today! SG and I are so excited. We love it here in Australia, but there's no place like home.

Little Miss Sunshine

No comments:

Post a Comment