Wednesday, November 2, 2011

IT'S A KOALA!


They really do exist! I saw one today! If you're looking for an antecedent to those orphan pronouns, let me tell you, it's KOALA! Today, SG and I had the pleasure of being taken by our adopted grandparents, the Matthews, to Healesville Sanctuary. Boy, they take good care of us. They picked us up this morning and the sunkist hour of 8:30, which today was not so sunkist. We didn't really know what to expect, but just driving there was a pleasure, as the land around Healesville is rolling farmland filled with vineyards and paddocks of sheep.

When we arrived, we realized we were about to walk into the Australian version of the zoo. By Australian version, what I mean is the section of the zoo that showcases local animals. There's a Texas wildlife section at the Ft. Worth Zoo, and an Arizona desert section of the Phoenix Zoo, etc. Well, this animal park housed animals from the whole of Australia, which is a very big place with lots of climates. We saw kangaroos, wallabies (basically a small version of the kangaroo), wombats, skinks and emus!

We walked through the reptile house and I realized that Australia is home to the ten deadliest snakes in the world, including one that is 7 times more poisonous than a cobra. HELLO, WHAT WAS I THINKING!? The reptile man was giving a talk about what else but reptiles in Australia. He pulled out a frilled neck lizard (remember Rescuers Down Under) and some other lizardy things before he picked up the goana that had been pacing and prowling in the fenced in area where he was standing. Fact: the name goana is a corruption of the word iguana because explorers thought they were similar to the iguanas found in South America! After the large and writhing goana, who is related to the deadly Kimodo Dragon of Indonesia, he pulled out a python. Ick ick ick ick. And I touched it, after a dare-like challenge from Mr. Matthews. (Refer to a post entitled "Confession 27".)

On the walking loop, there was an animal hospital where they had exhibits on animal surgery, disease diagnosis, baby animals, and what happen a few years ago when the wildfires became so serious that they moved 200 animals to the Melbourne Zoo!

During the day there were different shows or talks given by staff members like the reptile man. Another one we got to see was the bird show. It was SO COOL! They had Galas and Cockatoos and Rosellas and hawks and a Wedge-Tailed Eagle and lots of other beautiful birds that I don’t remember. It was in an open air amphitheater and the birds came flying in and caught pieces of food or landed on the speaker's arm, but never flew away. There was even a parrot that talked into the microphone and did tricks! I loved that they were so well-trained, but I also love that these birds are ones that I see around town. I've seen Rosellas on my runs along the beach, and I've seen Lorrikeets in our backyard! I don't live in a pet store, but there are parrots.

And and and and…. I SAW A PLATYPUS! I, Little Miss Sunshine, think platypi are so cool. That is such a linguistically poor phrase, but you know what I mean. There were two of them swimming around in the water in an exhibit, although there are some just living around the sanctuary too. The platypi were smaller than what I had pictured, which was something more beaver-like.

We also had to start our day with morning tea, which Mrs. M had packed in a thermos, with sugar and coffee and tea and milk and everything. Halfway through the day, we stopped for a lunch out of the boot of the car, and before we left we had our afternoon coffee. By the end of the day, SG and I were knackered (read: tired), but Mr. and Mrs. M were still fired up and ready for another adventure or five. They're amazing.

So if you want to know anything about echidnas or ibises or emerald dove, let me know. I might not know the answer, but I'll give you my best shot.

Sorely knackered,

Little Miss Sunshine

1 comment:

  1. LMS... absolutely love your posts... You need to consider writing a book, my friend.

    ReplyDelete